Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutting a roll of vinyl

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by artiep, Nov 18, 2009.

1. artiep

artiep New Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Has anyone cut a vinyl roll to make it shorter. I can sometimes get a great deal on vinyl on ebay but it would be to long for my machine. I would like to say cut a 60 inch roll into two 30 inch rolls. Can this be done without special equipment?

Tags:
  2. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Major Contributor

Dec 5, 2003
    bandsaw

3. artiep

artiep New Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Thanks gentlemen that really helps out. Hey shovelhead do you ride one.Show me yours and I'll show you mine.

4. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Major Contributor

Dec 5, 2003
    '76 ridgid

5. artiep

artiep New Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Shovel

1976 FLH This is a pic from last year.Sissy bar is gone, and just switched to a wrap around oil tank.

Attached Files:

6. 702 graphics

702 graphics Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Las Vegas NV
    I have one of these :rock-n-roll:

Attached Files:

7. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Man! Harleys are asthetically challenged.

8. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    Mosh must have one too cause to have someone else cut your vinyl would be simply foolish

9. phototec

phototec Very Active Member

May 23, 2008
    Belton
    So, what is it called, and where do you get one?

Also, what kind of blade does it use?

:help

10. CS-SignSupply

CS-SignSupply Very Active Member

702... Have a manufacturer name?

11. TotalSign

TotalSign New Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Curious what you are finding on eBay that's cheaper than supply places.

12. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    I ended up with a bunch of 4 ft rolls paying some one to cut when broke did not match so

I used a hack saw worked fine yup not perfect but the extra vinyl on each end did not matter... band saw be better ... slitter be best

13. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Sawing rolls of vinyl will always produce somewhat less than satisfactory results. This is because toothed saws, all toothed saws, cut by chipping away at the material not by slicing through it.

What if one were to mount a meat slicer blade on a conventional power miter? The blade would have to be the same size or smaller than the saw's capacity and have a 5/8" round bore. Maybe like this one...

http://www.onesharpstore.com/catalog/item/3229417/6448508.htm

This would allow the saw to actually cut rather than chip away at the work as does any toothed blade. This should provide a much smoother cut.

Or, chuck the roll of media up in a lathe and set up to use a meat cleaver or some other large sharp blade as a parting tool?

14. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
  15. Bill43mx

Bill43mx Member

Oct 19, 2004
    Just wondering if anyone has tried using their laminator to slit vinyl? Ours has a powered takeup for the backing paper and friction clutch for the laminate supply roll. If we ran the vinyl directly from the supply to the takeup it would be a simple matter of mounting (or holding by hand for down & dirty) a cutting blade in the appropriate place between the 2 rolls and turning on the laminator. Never tried it but it seems like it should work.

Bob, you are usually so precise with your wording I was actually disappointed in this statement "Sawing rolls of vinyl will always produce somewhat less than satisfactory results.". We've used this method many times with "satisfactory" results. Less than perfect? Yes! Less than satisfactory? Well I guess that depends on what you would be satisfied with but for our purposes (cutting 54" lam down to fit 30" vinyl) it has been quite satisfactory.

16. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    I've been down this road a time or two when cutting rolls of mylar backed hot stamping foil.

Analyze the mechanical workings of the slitter. The roll of material is turning, and so is the cutting blade (freewheeling against the vinyl much like an Olfa rotary cutter).

This is why slitters work so well. There is no friction being generated between the vinyl and the blade.

No friction means no gummy adhesive, and no melted vinyl. That alone is worth the price of admission.

JB

17. Sign Eagle

Sign Eagle Member

Nov 2, 2010
    My first printer was a 48" Mutoh about 7 or 8 years ago. We used a 10" chop saw which didn't go all the way thru the roll, so after cutting as deep as we could, rotated the roll to cut the balance. Just make sure to bounce the cut end on the floor a few time to knock the chips out of the core. We needed to cut 54" material which was readily available to 48". Always kept the cut end of the vinyl on the left side and never have a problem.

18. LizardWraps

LizardWraps Member

Mar 26, 2008
    live in jersey , I have a slitter if you need to cut down some rolls, up to 64"

19. scole999

scole999 New Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Cutting or Slitting rolls of vinyl

I have a table top pull through slitter that Ronan Tools used to make that can convert 30" or smaller rolls into narrower rolls. You can make one like it with some pvc pipe and exacto knives if you are creative enough.

I also have two large commercial slitters that do the entire roll at one time. Both create nice clean edges which is important for certain applications. If you are going to vector cut the roll then a clean edge is not really needed and you can use a band saw. I have a picture of my big slitter at http://rollslitting.com . Comes in handy for making small rolls from big ones.

Steve