• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cutting directly from corel

Brilliant Grafix

Hello, everyone keeps telling me that I can send jobs on my cutter and my printer through corel directly, with no other software/plugins.

I have currently installed my cutter (mimaki CG-130 FXii) on a pc running windows XP. I have also installed corel X4, to try this direct cut and see how it works. When I click on File tab, the option Print... is not available for selection. Only Print Merge is available and Print Setup.

So I checked my Printers and Faxes through Start button and it doesn't show the cutter in there. Then I went to Device Manager and the cutter is found as a properly installed device as such:

[+] Plotter USB Port Controllers
-> Mimaki USB1.1 Data Port Controller

Is there something specific I need to do for Corel to recognize my cutter as a printer option?

Any information or ideas would be highly appreciated.

signage

You need a windows print driver for the plotter to work! The print driver needs to be for/from Mimaki for your plotter!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
In the sense that anything is possible, there probably is a way to do this but why would you want to? Even if you get it to work you'll have minimal control over your plotter relative to what you could have with proper software. There's lots of comprehensive plotter interfaces available for cheap.

Why are you trying to beat up on yourself? If it's merely to save a couple of florins, that would be the model for penny wise and pound foolish.

1leonchen

u can use co cut or do it manually. personally i would get a good program like Flexi sign or a good cut program.Doesn't Mimaki make their own cutting software.

Attachments

• Setup for Corel.doc
    156.5 KB · Views: 144

Techman

Cocut is one of the finest plug in around. It will add benefits that will turn corel into a full fledged sign program equal to any thing out there.

I have used it since version 9 and found there is nothing I could not do. Plus it has some extra features that makes cutter operation a pleasure. As Bob states above.. Why beat yourself up trying to cut direct when a well proven easy solution exists.

OldPaint

well, i can tell ya, i been cutting from COREL ONLY......... since 1992, version 3!!!!!!!!! if mimaki makes a windows driver like ROLAND has............its so easy and simple.
since 1992, i have had need for ANY OTHER SIGN SPECIFIC SOFTWARE, and all the added stuff they do.............maybe 5-6 times in all those years. i have done this on ALL ROLAND PLOTTER, & corel versions, 3, 4, 7, 10 & X3.

jemmyell

Hi,

On my GCC Puma III this was a two step process. First install the driver, then define a printer that uses that driver. Try installing a new printer and when it gets to the part of what port to use (defaults to LPT1:) pull the list open and see if your mimaki USB is there, if it is then you should be able to print from CorelDRAW after finishing the printer installation.

Gimpy

Had the same issue for a while. I use Coreldraw 10 and FineCut 3 to do this currently have not tried it on others. If the Mimaki Fine cut for Corel plug-in is already installed go to coreldraw menu and try looking under Tools/Option/Workspace. If you see Finecut check on the box and click ok. At that point 6 little icons should have popped up in your top menu bar of coreldraw window. You should be able to select your curves and select the menu icon afterwards / it looks like part of an exacto blad (it plots the selected path) This will take you into the Mimaki finecut ploter program and allow you to plot your paths. Hope this helps.

daveb

General Know-it-all
Yeah, what he said. OK, it's late and I've had my nightcap. FineCut should have come with your plotter, should show up at the top tools area. Works great, used it for years with no proplem. We also have Gerber (Which will drive your Mimaki plotter) but the guys would rather just plot out of Corel, almost gotten away from Gerber (thank God). We're still on verson 3 (have to use Corel 11).

Dave

Mosh

Cocut is one of the finest plug in around. It will add benefits that will turn corel into a full fledged sign program equal to any thing out there.

Yeah right.....hard to beat a real cutting program like signlab or flexi. So many thing go into it.