• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting down a Roll of vinyl to fit cutter.

jmmccann

Has anyone ever cut a roll of vinyl on the core? I have a full roll of FDC matte black vinyl that I can use, but it's 8 inches too long for my cutter. Has anyone ever had to do this or have a good idea on how to do it with out ruining the whole roll?

Ken

When I have oversize material I just roll it out on the table and cut what I need off of it.
Try to find a supplier that has a slitter. They will prob want a few $ to cut it but the slitter does a nice job. I would not try to use a table saw but a band saw might work.
Perhaps just a fine tooth hand saw would work.
Ken

Tintman928

Find a mfg with a slitter as Ken said, if there are any window tint dist in your area, check with them as well, they will usually have a slitter.

Haakon

Have used a chop saw myself when the supplier has forgot to slit down the vinyl (I have a 24" vinyl cutter).

You are through the material much sooner than it has time to heat up, no melting to worry about. Cuts are a little more ragged than if you get ready slit vinyl from the supplier, but since this is for use in own cutter, that does not matter. If I were to deliver a roll of material to a customer I that would be another matter, but fine for own use.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me

D&Tgraphics

We have used a circular saw many times to cut down a roll of media. Use a fine tooth blade. Like stated above, it's a rugged looking cut but it will work fine.

showcase 66

I have used a chop saw as well.
What I use know is a meat slicer blade in my chop saw.
Works awesome that way. If you can find a flat blade meat slicer blade than it should work. The wavy blades not so much.

slappy

what if you need it exactly 6" to stripe something like a truck from head light to taillight... how can you guarantee it not be wavy with out a slitter? Or is a saw not recommended for that?

Mosh

FDC film? The best thing for that is in the fireplace...seriously, I tryed that film and replaced 80% of it that I used, save yourself some headache and toss it. The Maroon turned black and cracked in months, the black just cracked.

BUT, I got a deal on a bunch of app tape one time and I cut it down on my band saw with a fine blade, pretty sure vinyl would work too, in a pinch.

DizzyMarkus

Don't take the whole cut in one fatal pass :0) --Do the cut in three passes and you will be golden-- do it all the time as my lam machine is only 28" and the lam comes 30" :0) Keep the heat down and its works well. Gotten so you couldn't tell now lol

Markus

phototec

what if you need it exactly 6" to stripe something like a truck from head light to taillight... how can you guarantee it not be wavy with out a slitter? Or is a saw not recommended for that?

I use a Virutex slitter to cut narrow strips of vinyl, it uses a guide fence you can set for like a 4"' wide strip, run it along the vinyl and you get a precise factory finish cut. It's made to also slit plastic laminate, which it what I purchased it for, then found it could do a great job slitting vinyl also.

http://virutex.com/thegenuinevirutexlaminatesuperslitter.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-_znDopSyU&sns=em

You can find used ones on ebay for about $50 0r less.

:thumb:

Attachments

• Virutex Laminate Super Slitter Model CO15L _.jpg
    Virutex Laminate Super Slitter Model CO15L _.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 104