• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting down a roll of vinyl

StickyBoyz

I have a Mutoh 48" printer and need to buy a roll of ORACAL 3850 backlit material and was curious what the easiest way was to cut the vinyl. My local suppliers do not cut down vinyl.

Can you tell me what tool to use along with the blade top cut it. I know if it is rough my printing head will snag it and the whole roll will be junk.

Thanks and let me know what to do!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Lol sorry but you really should use a slitter but I guess you could try a table saw of some sort. I can cut rolls for you in the future if your interested.

Mosh

Table saw? Find someone with a slitter, or get a bigger printer. Subbing it so someone with a bigger machine would be the way to go.

Slamdunkpro

I've used a hack saw with a fine tooth blade a couple times in the (distant)past. I made sure the roll was wound tight then compression taped the roll where I was cutting it and went slow. Took a while, but other then having to discard the outer layer it cut reasonably smooth.

mcgrawdesigns

Hey Ryan, I do this with every new roll of media I get. I use a circular saw with a new fine toothed blade. I do it immediately after opening the box with the factory plastic still on - I cut one end of the plastic loose and slide it back about a foot, then tape up that end to prevent any debris from getting on the rest of the media. I then mark where my cut needs to be and put a band of masking tape all the way around the vinyl. You are now ready to start with a plunge cut, and then work your way around the roll of vinyl. When you are done cutting take your masking tape off of the roll and use an air blow gun to blow away and debris inside of the tube. I always wipe off the outside of the vinyl with a rag dampened with isopropyl alcohol when I am finished. If you take your time and do it right it will leave a clean edge and your printer head won't snag on the media. Hope this helps. This topic has been covered on here before, so do a search to see what others do, this just happens to be how I do it, and it has worked well for me.

gnemmas

We use our miter saw (same blade as circular saw) to cut. McGraw's precaution is good, we just make sure to cut the end of the vinyl that is away from the capping station. (so as the printhead will only cross the factory edge side of the vinyl roll).

Headhunterx

We use our miter saw (same blade as circular saw) to cut. McGraw's precaution is good, we just make sure to cut the end of the vinyl that is away from the capping station. (so as the printhead will only cross the factory edge side of the vinyl roll).

This is the same way I do it and have been doing it for years.

Richard

I use the take up on my laminator. I put it on high speed and use a new razor. I drag the tip in slowly and let the tip do the cutting. When the cut gets deep, I take off the vinyl and start again. I get nice clean edges.

SpectrumCustoms

you can leave it in the box and peirce the side of the box with an olfa knife with the blade extended and pull it thru like a slitter and cut as much as you need

LizardWraps

I'm in Jersey and have a commercial Slitter set up for vinyl rolls if anyone needs help.. Few Bucks will get the job done... Don't try it any other way!!!

domalbi

cutting down a roll of adhesive vinyl

Need someone locally to cut down a 60" roll of adhesive vinyl to two 24" rolls using a commercial slitter. Please contact me at 201-394-8827

slipperyfrog

you can leave it in the box and peirce the side of the box with an olfa knife with the blade extended and pull it thru like a slitter and cut as much as you need

I do this all the time. It is a window tinter's trick for cutting down large rolls of tint into workable sizes.