• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Force on a Brand New VS640 is really weak

funkytone

I'm having some issues with the cutting pressure on my new VS640 (2 weeks old). I'm using Oracal 3268 which is a 6mil removable wall vinyl to produce contour cut decals. I had everything running great around 80grams did a few sheets of various types, set the take up and started a run of 700 only to find that the pressure wasn't breaking through the vinyl after 25% of the job. I've thrown the roll away, started on other jobs, got those finished and now back to these decals and the only way the blade will breakthrough the vinyl right now is if I have the tip extended a bit more than usual and the cut force is set all the way to 300grams max. This works for contour cutting as a temporary solution for this weekend but doesn't allow me to add any more pressure to do the perfcut for knockouts, and I never had to use the max setting on my old sp300 even. There's no way the blade is dull as it happened on the second job I've ever contour cut so its still in great shape. I took out the blade, set it back in, same thing.

Any idea what might be going on?

PS - Yes, Its fully warrantied and I've emailed my tech but its the weekend so I thought I would see if someone here might be able to offer some input sooner.

Thanks

FrankW

Try a new knife. And, depending on the thickness of your media, try to use a 45°- or 60°-knife.

kanini

How does your cutting strip look? No cuts in it or? How does the test cut work on the material? If you are in a pinch you could try to set it to cut twice in Versaworks but you really should not need to have the pressure that high anyways...

And I don't think the Mimaki works flawless all the time every time either *lol* :toasting:

woolly

if you have had a 300 before you must have some spare blades to try.
the vs has a nasty habbit of the tip being damaged if the depth is to much as it fouls on the media clamp, if used on thicker than normal media.
look for scoring on the clamp. all so if doing perf cut then a higher chance of damaging the blade tip on the cutting strip if not set well.
may be a fault with the machine but you said it started off well.

funkytone

Well, its fixed now :)

The tech came out Monday afternoon with some spare blades. swapped it out and it worked fine with normally pressure settings. Upon further inspection of the blade that was in there, he said he's never seen a blade like that and it must have shipped from the factory with the wrong blade. He's the same guy who installed it two weeks ago and remembers taking it out the package, putting it in the holder and setting it up. Its odd but either way, I'm back up and cutting :)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

-T