• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting French cleats - Q's....

cmykpro

I wanted to do more than just cleats so I went with a Delta 36-725. If you are willing to go with a used saw, I have been very happy with my Ryobi BT3100 that I bought for $120 a few years ago. A lot of people like the dewalts but I could not make myself like the rack and pinion fence adjustment. When it comes to table saws, its all about personal preference.

Now a strong word of caution, table saws are dangerous. Deciding to buy one is the easy part. You should spend a bit learning to operate the saw safely and come up with some type of training requirements for anyone who operates the saw. Investing in push blocks and feather boards will help keep all of your and your co-workers fingers.

It's interesting you say this as I was considering a video I saw a few years back. It was a neat concept where if the blade touched human skin it would stop immediately. Does anyone know if this ever came to fruition? If I also remember correctly it rendered the saw permanently useless after that safety was activated. If they improved on this system it may be something I should be considering as safety is my biggest concern day in and out.

MikePro

It's interesting you say this as I was considering a video I saw a few years back. It was a neat concept where if the blade touched human skin it would stop immediately. Does anyone know if this ever came to fruition? If I also remember correctly it rendered the saw permanently useless after that safety was activated. If they improved on this system it may be something I should be considering as safety is my biggest concern day in and out.
yup. in 2007.
http://www.sawstop.com/

roughly 4k for a saw that needs complete replacement once the safety has been engaged.
however, I prefer my regular $500 table saw and its ability to cut everything ...including hot dogs.

ChrisN

yup. in 2007.
http://www.sawstop.com/

roughly 4k for a saw that needs complete replacement once the safety has been engaged.
however, I prefer my regular $500 table saw and its ability to cut everything ...including hot dogs.

What have you been reading? You don't have to replace the $4k saw every time the safety goes off!:omg: Just a ~$80 cartridge plus the blade. A whole lot cheaper than a missing finger!

neato

Never ceases to amaze me how a simple question turns into this.

Kind of makes you scared to ask for advice around here. Is this still a sign forum?

rfulford

A sawstop table saw seems like a bit of overkill for cutting cleats but from a liability standpoint, it is the safest saw out there.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We have a sawstop. We got it because when we need the table saw, it's generally for hundreds of cuts. It's easy to zone off and ruin a perfectly good finger when making hundreds of monotonous cuts. They are under $2100 on Amazon - Sawstop Contractor Saw

The sawstop is about 10 times cheaper than a workmans comp claim in the long run - and that's if the guy doesn't lose his finger.

When the stop engages, it takes an $80 cartridge and a new blade to get it up and running. As far as quality, it's one of the nicer table saws I have seen or used.

Back to the OP. I think you're going to need to get a table saw one way or another. Use this as a good excuse to get a new toy...ahem...tool.

TimToad

As ridiculous as threads like this can get, and I admit, I'm poking some fun at the OP, the point being missed by nearly everyone is that the OP has an inhouse CNC Router but refuses to free it up for this simple, not that time consuming of a task.

The results off the CNC will be infinitely better, it will be FAR safer for employees, labor intensive, etc.

I don't know how many of you have held onto a 4'x8' sheet of PVC at the edge of a table saw that has its blade tilted 45 degrees and then pushed through one perfectly even piece after another, but I can tell you, if a better option exists, USE IT! Because the table saw method is not the most reliable or accurate. It certainly isn't the safest either compared to a router.

Personally, unless that router is fully paid off, is running 24/7 with high paying jobs, I'm using that thing to cut cleats, sign panels, hell my morning toast.

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
No one has yet asked....Do you have a band saw? A simple jig could be made to cut long lengths. And the plus is. A band saw doesn't create a lot of chips or dust.