• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Gerber Edge Prints Using a Mimaki CG130FX Vinyl Cutter

Hawkwind

Our sign shop is set up with 2 computer workstations to use different equipment. One is a Gerber Edge with a GS-15 cutter. We use Omega Composer 2.1. The other system is for a Mimaki JV3160SP Digital Printer, using CorelDraw 12 with FineCut 3.3, and PhotoPRINT 4, and also a companion Mimaki CG130FX vinyl cutter.

The problem we are having is that when outputting static cling decals on the Gerber Edge, the GS-15 cutter destroys the prints by not lifting the knife when it returns to cut another row. The static cling material is the only medium that is causing this - all other vinyls, including reflective, give no problems at all. We have determined that it requires some new parts. However, we would rather not invest the money on an aging piece of equipment.

What we would like to do is still output the cling decals, but find some way to use the Mimaki cutter to actually do the cutting. One of the problems with that is that the Gerber computer still is running Windows 98 due to the fact that under XP it will not detect the comm port for the printer. We've had techs tearing out their hair trying to get it to work with a new computer using XP. We have given up. Now, the reason that is a problem, is that the Mimaki has no Win 98 driver available, only 2000 & XP.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions about how we might go about this, I would very much appreciate it. All ideas and observations would be welcome.

Thanks!

threeputt

We are running Gerber Edge and their plotter with XP. It certainly can be done.

BTW, we are similarly set up. Two design stations, one for Edge and HS-15Plus plotter and one for Roland stand alone printer/cutter. XP on both.

threeputt

Additionally, how will the Mimake detect and register from registration marks made by the Edge. Can you simply program an icon in the printed image that the Mimaki is looking for?

Hawkwind

Well, this is one thing I would like to find out. PhotoPRINT has the ability to read Gerber Edge registration marks when utilizing any file with contours. But I really don't know how you would get the file with the proper data and spacing to the program. I felt that the easiest way to accomplish the solution would be to simply attach the Mimaki to the computer with the Gerber and output the cut data to that, instead of the Gerber plotter. The snag is as I mentioned - we cannot get the equipment to run under XP.

Hawkwind

We are running Gerber Edge and their plotter with XP. It certainly can be done.

Well, as I mentioned, the software will run fine under XP - but it refuses to allow the port to communicate. We have tried other computers, using XP and have had no luck. Gerber service is of no help either.

Are you using Composer? If so, what version & build?