• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Holes In Foamcore

miker

So, what's the best way to do this? I need to cut 1/4"~ish holes in foamcore for about 250 pieces.

I don't think it can be done with out iCut because out knife blades are too wide, and obviously routing is a no go.

Thoughts??

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
A Forstner bit in a drill press will cut a clean hole in foam core. This is from actual experience, not theory. The smallest Forstner I've ever seen is 3/8" but perhaps there exists a 1/4" somewhere.

Use slow speed, a new sharp bit, have a flat spoil board under the foam core, be sure to cut into the spoil board for each hole, and move the spoil board to a fresh surface after each hole.

miker

D2B print on 3/16" White Foamcore. Size is 36"w x 18"h. Hole diameter is negotiable up to 1/2". Yes, the holes are for hanging.

Thanks for the replies.

cdiesel

Just pop grommets.. Or, you said you have an I cut, our zund does a wonderful job with foam.

miker

Just pop grommets.. Or, you said you have an I cut, our zund does a wonderful job with foam.

Grommets is the current solution, just a waste of time if I could get them to cut properly on the iCut. We have no problem cutting foam on the iCut, just the small nature of getting the knife in and out without chewing the board up has been tricky on small holes.

RycckG

Zund will not cut a 1/4" dia hole cleanly. Esko can get to a much smaller dia due to the blade they use. I would still cut mine with a mallet and a tube punch, if you are talking only a few dozen holes

rjssigns

Make a 5" deep 90 degree "holder" out of scrap wood so the corners line up, stack them then punch thru on a drill press. Not elegant just fast.

ignorance2

Zund will not cut a 1/4" dia hole cleanly. Esko can get to a much smaller dia due to the blade they use. I would still cut mine with a mallet and a tube punch, if you are talking only a few dozen holes
I call BS on your comment that a Zund can NOT cut a 1/4" hole! I just did in 3/16 foam core and it looks beutiful!

dsmskyline

I use a hole drill used in a bindery for drilling holes in paper. They use a special hollow bit and it works perfectly for me every time.

I use it for 3/16 foam core, 3/16 gator board and 1/2 gator board.

I can usually stack 2 high and still get a clean cut.

I just did some signs yesterday for hanging from the ceiling in my wifes classroom.

boxerbay

i use a hole drill used in a bindery for drilling holes in paper. They use a special hollow bit and it works perfectly for me every time.

I use it for 3/16 foam core, 3/16 gator board and 1/2 gator board.

I can usually stack 2 high and still get a clean cut.

I just did some signs yesterday for hanging from the ceiling in my wifes classroom.

bingo!

RycckG

I call BS on your comment that a Zund can NOT cut a 1/4" hole! I just did in 3/16 foam core and it looks beutiful!

My apology.. I stand corrected. I am used to a very wide double sided "spade" shaped blade on the Zund. Sorry to all the Zund owners

10sacer

You can get a 1/4" Forstner bit or hop on down to Lowe's/home Depot and get their small hand grommet kit. It has a nice hole punch in it. Put wood under foam and giveit a nice quick whack and voila!

Better question is if you just put holes in foamcore - what are you going to use to hang it? Wire, fishing line, hooks...? If the signs have any weight to them and there is air movement in the room - wire and line will saw right through foam in no time.

We use these special hooks that screw into the top of the foam - available from Foster and they work great.

http://www.advantagesignsupply.com/Foster-Twist-N-Hook-Substrate