Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Cutting Laminated PVC on Summa F1612

Discussion in 'Summa' started by imonBouch19, Oct 16, 2020.

1. imonBouch19

imonBouch19 New Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Timonium, MD
    Wondering if anyone has experienced this with their F1612. We are trying to cut shapes out of a sheet of 1/8” PVC with laminated vinyl applied to it. The 2 problems we are having:
    1. All the knife tools we’ve tried cut through the PVC fine but leave a “serrated” edge on the laminated vinyl. I know it looks like that was done with the EOT or something but the heavy duty blade and double-edge blade did the same thing.
    2. We also tried routing (HF Router) and that left little pieces of laminate/adhesive on all the edges.
    See attached photos – any ideas?

Thanks,
    Marc IMG_1098.jpeg IMG_1101.jpeg

Tags:
  2. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    I use the HD knife for 1/8" pvc and it does a beautiful job, is your HD knife new and sharp? try slowing it down, or do multiple passes.

what bit are you using in the router for this? All the bits summa sells are upcut bits, but I have a theory that downcut would be better for cutting through substrates with vinyl applied as it should eliminate this issue completely as the but would be sheering the vinyl off when it's cutting down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PHILJOHNSON

PHILJOHNSON Sales Manager

Jul 23, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    One suggestion might be to try kiss cutting the laminated vinyl on the surface first with something like the kiss cutting tool and then send a second cut path with the heavy duty tool slightly offset from the kiss cut to reduce the knife drag as the tool cuts through the vinyl(which is generally the cause of the serrated edge).

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
    Airmark Corporation
    (800)527-7778, ext 112
    philj@airmark.com

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ProColorGraphics

ProColorGraphics Very Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have had good luck with both the hd knife and the router. Any little fuzzy edges left by the router wiped right off.