• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Letters Smaller than 1 Inch

trafficbarriersolutions

TRAFFIC & BARRIER SOLUTIONS, LLC
Hi,
I am having trouble with cutting my heat transfer for my t-shirts. I am cutting some letters out in the middle of a logo that needs to have the letters cut out instead of the border. In this case, any letters that have middle pieces like A, B, D, O, P, Q, and R will stay in the middle and have the outside of the letters removed. The only problem is that these letters are less than 0.75 inches so it makes it much harder to weed out when the Graphtec is trying to cut smaller letter or even pieces out. The blade I am using is a 45-degree blade. The blade depth is set on 0.6mm, and the force is set at 18 with a speed of 25. Is there a way to cut smaller letters like this without it scattering them?

monroesigns

I hope someone else has an answer for you - I do not cut HTV with my Graphtec. However, I slow my speed to 10 when I am cutting small regular vinyl lettering.

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
you need to work on your settings or find a different material. I regularly cut HTV MUCH smaller than that with my Graphtec CE7000
Example, the capital "L" in "Lawn" is .21" high on these shirts

Attachments

• turley FLC.jpg
    turley FLC.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 122

ToneCustomSigns

Are you using a printable heat transfer or a cut heat transfer? I do both depending on the artwork. I have a hard time weeding the printable heat transfer so I try and avoid text with that material whenever possible.
However, the cut HTV comes with a sticky back liner that holds the vinyl in place very well. You shouldn't have any issues cutting .75 or .2 for that matter. I would check the offset on your plotter. If the letters aren't cutting correctly, that will make it difficult to weed. Also, test the pressure. I have a Mimaki CG-130 (ol' reliable) and I use a 45 degree blade with 20 pressure and 5 speed. Hope this helps!

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
What transfer do you use for small lettering?
I used to use mostly Siser EasyWeed, but about a year ago I discovered the Ultraweed from Aviva and have loved working with it. It's just a tiny bit thicker than the Siser so very slightly heavier for areas of large coverage (I'm particularly annoyed by thick prints), but not one of my customers have ever complained about it and I've used a fair bit of it and been very, very pleased. And as strange as it sounds, it smells nice too :roflmao:

Are you using a printable heat transfer or a cut heat transfer? I do both depending on the artwork. I have a hard time weeding the printable heat transfer so I try and avoid text with that material whenever possible.
However, the cut HTV comes with a sticky back liner that holds the vinyl in place very well. You shouldn't have any issues cutting .75 or .2 for that matter. I would check the offset on your plotter. If the letters aren't cutting correctly, that will make it difficult to weed. Also, test the pressure. I have a Mimaki CG-130 (ol' reliable) and I use a 45 degree blade with 20 pressure and 5 speed. Hope this helps!
Agreed on the printable being a different animal. I tend to go for the thinnest available which right now seems to be Siser Hi-5, but it's a bit of a pain to work with. I've actually done hybrid designs on some things where I'll print/cut the parts that need it, but then use cut HTV for small lettering or embellishments. Slightly more labor on the heat press, but not having to weed the fiddly bits out of the more difficult material makes up for it in time and frustration savings IMHO.

Stacey K

I like making signs
My Graphtec did an excellent job of cutting HTV. My new cutter - not so much. Things are wonky and I'm thinking it's because the sheet is slipping or something. Maybe it's slicker than vinyl? But if I hook up my Graphtec - perfect every time.

trafficbarriersolutions

TRAFFIC & BARRIER SOLUTIONS, LLC
It is printable. Also if possible, is there a printable heat transfer that you can print mirrored and cut using the sticky back like that?

BigNate

It is printable. Also if possible, is there a printable heat transfer that you can print mirrored and cut using the sticky back like that?
just to clarify, are you asking about an adhesive for the vinyl that will work if you completely seal it to the substrate before trying to adhere it to cloth? Never heard of this... (I think if you want to print mirrored then your inks would have to have an adhesive applied to the top like a flood print - which would be the side going toward the shirt....)

ToneCustomSigns

just to clarify, are you asking about an adhesive for the vinyl that will work if you completely seal it to the substrate before trying to adhere it to cloth? Never heard of this... (I think if you want to print mirrored then your inks would have to have an adhesive applied to the top like a flood print - which would be the side going toward the shirt....)
I've never seen such a thing either. I've been meaning to look into Ninja transfers. They print the transfers and send them to you. i think it's work looking into. I stay busy with sign orders that I really shouldn't be messing with shirts anyway. I don't know why I keep taking shirt orders lol

BigNate

I've never seen such a thing either. I've been meaning to look into Ninja transfers. They print the transfers and send them to you. i think it's work looking into. I stay busy with sign orders that I really shouldn't be messing with shirts anyway. I don't know why I keep taking shirt orders lol
613 Originals makes transfers for us.... very reasonable and they have a lot of options.

mfatty500

I use a 60* blade for everything, and have no problem cutting small text. Have you looked at your artwork in wire-frame, to see if there are any overlapping nodes, they can some times cause this.