• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Master 2 installation cd - !!VIRUS!! ?

messmedia

So, I tried to install Cutting Master 2 from original CD that came with my Graphtec FC8000-100 cutter. My AVG called a virus on me!

Actually, 4 files are infected: axdist.exe, ReadPrinter.exe, WritePrinter.exe and Start.exe.
Virus name is: Win32/Small

At virustotal.com site, 5 out of 40 antivirus programs recognize the virus.

It is pretty bad one: it manage to copy itself to USB's, make all functions go through svc host, which makes it hard to remove.

Anyone of U have this problem? Or, could U please check any of mentioned files for viruses?

- Ugly thing - U buy top of the line product and get a virus in install package!!! Shame on graphtec (if this really is a virus).

Does anyone have a link for download of cutting master 2 online? - at Graphtec site - I couldn't find download for fc8000??

P.S. - I didn't get infected, but I can't install nor use my cutter untill I resolve this!

CES020

It's a false positive. It's not a virus. Unfortunately some people make virus names that are actual file names used by real programs. My plotter and router both have that issue. A call to the factory on both let me know both are aware and both haven't resolved the name changes yet.

Don't take my word for it, contact Graphtec about it. I wouldn't want to give you advice that does lead to a virus, but in this case, I do believe it's a false positive. AVG hates my Graphtec.

messmedia

^ ... and, tech guy just said it is because CM2 must install UNDER other software (Illustrator, Corel ...) so it is recognized as a virus.

But, wouldn't graphtec fix that somehow? And, AVG did NOT said it is GENERIC virus (as generic viruses are those with POSSIBILITY of being a virus, because of actions it does), it said it is virus WITH DEFINITION!

I just downloaded from graphtec america the software (graphtec europe do not have it for fc8000) - same thing - VIRUSES!

Anyway, I must do my work, clients won't wait, so I am installing it now, and I'll check to see if it does anything else than it suppose to! And, keep You posted, of course.
If anyone knows anything about this, I would appreciate sharing those information! :{)
Thanx!

CES020

If it's a virus, it's a quiet one. I've been using it for a year or more and it's not shown any issues. Not that it's not possible, but I don't think you have anything to worry about.

messmedia

^ Thanx CES020 for Your answer and interest.

On Install, nothing unordinary happend.

Nevertheless, it still makes me feel a little uncomfortable ...