• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Paper on Graphtec

MariaMartini

Does anyone know if I can cut paper on my Graphtec. I applied transfer tape to the back of my paper so that it would stay in one piece before it is weeded, but it still tears up. I haven't played around with the settings too much... does anyone know if it's possible?

signage

You need a backing or you are going to ruin your cutting strip. These cutters are not designed to cut all the way thought the material, just the front part leaving the carrier intact.

artbot

does a carrier sheet exist for large format plotters? i was also needing to do some large paper cutting projects (48"-60" wide).

i assumed that i could make one myself but that doesn't mean the machine can work with it. btw, don't own a plotter, currently trying to come up with the right combo. i was going to put an air table on the front and back of the plotter so that the cutting mat could hover as the die cutting took place.

any advice on cutters that can easily die cut large sheets of card stock or accept cutting mats would be great. otherwise, i can put a plotter head on my cnc table. ...but i really don't think that is as good of an option.

Custom_Grafx

The FC8000 has a perf cut option that should work.

I do perf cut on my roland for non adhesive back stock and it works fine. Not sure if graphtec has this?

There are limits to how thick you can cut though on a plotter, especially if you need detail.

tooth63

My Graphtec FC8000 does perf cut. You have to move the blade to postion 3 and it will cut over the gap instead of the cut strip. You can set the perf options for different line segments. Saying that I'm not sure how well it will work with plain paper. It works great for die cutting and then perf cutting decals.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Does anyone know if I can cut paper on my Graphtec. I applied transfer tape to the back of my paper so that it would stay in one piece before it is weeded, but it still tears up. I haven't played around with the settings too much... does anyone know if it's possible?

One of those things that's possible but not a Good Idea unless you have an endless supply of blades. The blade is meant to cut vinyl and other reasonably homogenous materials with just the tip of the blade. Paper is one of the most abrasive substances extant and will eat the tip right off a blade in but a few inches of cutting.

People who get away with this sort of thing, cutting paper, pouncing, cutting magnets, etc. are doing just that. Getting away with it.

RebeckaR

Purchase the cutting mat that is used with a Cricut cutter. You should be able to find one at Walmart or on the Cricut website. It's sticky on top to hold your paper in place and thin enough to run through your plotter. Play with the depth and expect to go through a lot of blades. They make them in different sizes, the largest being 12 x 24.

artbot

my gf has a cricut for her fine art collage work. it's a cool little machine. wish there was a giant cricut out there.

artbot

i'm thinking i just might make a giant cutting mat out of ldpe for my cnc and get that cutting head that goes in the router collet. i don't need super detail. just need parts cut.

here's what my awesome gf makes with her cricut.

Attachments

• 5962878457_b06a2ee992_z.jpg
    5962878457_b06a2ee992_z.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 278

MariaMartini

Purchase the cutting mat that is used with a Cricut cutter. You should be able to find one at Walmart or on the Cricut website. It's sticky on top to hold your paper in place and thin enough to run through your plotter. Play with the depth and expect to go through a lot of blades. They make them in different sizes, the largest being 12 x 24.

Thanks Rebecka!!