• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cutting printed decal issue

gabagoo

I have to know if I am the only one who experiences this when cutting decals or any cut graphic (not always but enough to write about it)

I run a Summa d140 cutter and every so often while cutting the printed decals, the material starts to crimp up once it moves far enough forward to reach the bottom of the material that holds the vinyl from sitting on the floor.
For the most part it is never enough of an issue but that crimping defiantely damages the vinyl so you need extras to cover for it.
It is a real issue when it is a rather large graphic and they are for the most part ruined with no extras.
I am never sure when it will happen or what causes it but it always happens when I am pulled away from the machine to do other tasks.

I have also experienced this on my graphtec when cutting vinyl...again not always, but when you least suspect it, especially when cutting frosted films.

I have an idea of how to stop it but never seem to remember to make them... of course until the next time it happens

Basically if you fastened a scrap of 1/8 pvc maybe 1" x30" in 3 spots along the top of the carriage and then fastened a tennis ball to the end then flip them out on the media as it passes through the plotter they would keep the material pushed down so that it rolls up uniformly at the bottom of the catcher. I guess I would need 3 more on the back side.

maybe it's time to try it ands see if it stops this annoyance.

southernsignguy

It also helps if you slide the outer edge of the fabric "basket" left or right so that the front edge of the material hits it squarely.