• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Problem (CG 130 FX II)

Sunnyvale

Hey all, I'm new here, and I found this forum while looking for a solution to a problem I'm having with my cutter.

I print on vinyl and then laminate with 1 mil laminate. I then use my cutter to cut out a rounded rectangle (cut through everything but the backing) and then a larger rectangle to cut all the way through. Think of a sticker on a backing...

Anyway, when I run the "half cut" function on the cutter, the material seems to hang up on the blade, causing a jam. I've tried adjusting the pressure and the blade depth to no avail. I switched out the blade for a new one, and that didn't work either. I even tried cleaning the pinch rollers.

The only things I'm down to are either a bad batch of laminate or the "pen line sponge" needs to be replaced.

Has anyone out there had a similar problem? This occurs mostly when I start running larger items (no problems with 2x3" images, but 3x5 and up start having problems)...

Thanks!

Sunnyvale

I have an additional question. Hopefully someone out there knows the answer!

The blade seems to catch on some of the corners, which is adding to the problem. If I adjust the cut pressure much lower, it doesn't do this; but then I can't remove the piece from the roll...

Is it a pressure problem, a blade problem or a blade holder problem? There's something in the (mostly impossible to decipher) user manual about a bad blade holder causing corners to be cut badly.

Any feedback is much appreciated!

bmw_ante

Du you have the knife at its right position for half cutting? Dont you have 2 positions for the knife ? One is for standard cutting and the one towards you is for Half cutting

FS Tech

Make sure you are using genuine Mimaki Blades. I have seen many issues when using blades that are non-Mimaki blades. Remember, only authorized Mimaki dealers will have Mimaki blades.

• Make sure the blade is cutting on the soft strip
  • Make sure your tool is set HALF, not CT1, CT2, etc.
  • Make sure the blade is only sticking out as far as the thickness of the media. If it is sticking out too far, it will rip the media.
  • It helps significantly if you have a blade made for reflective vinyl since this will have a higher degree and allows you to easily cut through thicker materials.

Sunnyvale

Yeah, I figured it out on Friday... It was merely how far the blade was sticking out. I discovered the easy way to set it was to hold the blade holder in my hand and adjust it just long enough to cut all the way through the media. No problems since...

Before taking this job, I'd only worked with Graphtec cutter, and only with regular non-printed vinyl. We never had to adjust the blade pressure! Now I'm dealing with 4 different settings for different materials.

Thanks for the feedback!

MikePro

disaster awaits those that regularly cut all the way through the material...

you'll burn through blades twice as fast and will eventually have to replace the padding on the plotter.

Sunnyvale

Hey, I'm just the guy that runs the production... We do need to replace the sponge under the cutter soon... And yes, the blades are gone through rather quickly. It's just the price to pay for the volumn of stuff we run here...