• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Problem

tonywhittier

When I cut a file I seem to have some problems with the cut.

1. In the corners its like it drags and doesnt cut out the corners very well. (see attached photo)

2. When cutting out a print it likes to leave a little white border around some of the edges. What could cause this.

Using a SP-540v and Versaworks

Also has a brand new 45 blade in it.

Attachments

• 2012-01-20_19-19-54_105.jpg
    2012-01-20_19-19-54_105.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 61

rjssigns

First do a cut alignment. It is in the main menu on the printer.
The second and most important thing is to put a "bleed" on everything.
That way if your cut is a little off you won't be left with white vinyl outside your design.

We did some 36" tall "cut" vinyl letters with our SP that had to be a Cinnamon color. So we printed a large color panel, laminated it, then cut the lettering out of the colored panel. Flawless.

Sticky Signs

Yup, gotta put lots of bleed on everything. The drag could be because the blade holder needs to be lubed. Use a silicone based lube like Jigaloo.

allamericantrade

Aside of the alignment, the drag may also be too much force. When you replaced the blade you need to lower the force or possibly raise the blade a little more turning the blade holder.

Foo

you might also want to try a different blade to get less drag. We use a 60 degree blade and it was a HUGE improvement over our 45 degree one.

Andrew O

Merchant Member
Lots of good suggestions here. I will also add that if you haven't replaced your cutter protection strip in a while, it is worth doing. They are inexpensive and easy to replace. It will eliminate one more variable.

tonywhittier

Thanks for all the replys! I will be trying them today and will update everyone with how it works.

Also, this may be a dumb question, but how do you add a bleed to a cut file? In Illustrator I use a offset path, but it moves the cut line to the edge of the offset path.