• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting problems

CentralSigns

Having a problem cutting cast material, it has real rough edges. This doesn't happen when I cut calendered material. Tried blade height doesn't change. Blade pressure same for both materials. Anyone have any ideas what's up.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Try isolating it by

• substituting a different roll of cast vinyl
  • cutting a different file
  • putting in a new blade

Mike_Koval

could be the blade holder as well. Sometimes dirt and grime could build up over time inside and a little 3 in 1 oil or a quick spray of WD-40 does the trick.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Having a problem cutting cast material, it has real rough edges. This doesn't happen when I cut calendered material. Tried blade height doesn't change. Blade pressure same for both materials. Anyone have any ideas what's up.

Install a new blade.

Cast media tends to be a bit more rubbery than calendered. A dullish blade that is sufficient to cut the more rigid calendered can skip and pull on cast media tearing as well as cutting.

Why do people seem reticent to change blades? They're consumables. When a plotter is cutting in some less than optimum fashion, change the blade. If that doesn't remedy the problem, then move on to investigate the more obscure solutions.

If you're a confirmed tight-ass who cannot bear to change a blade unless you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it might be defective try this. Remove a suspect blade and look at the tip, just the very tip, under a loupe or some other high magnification. If the blade tip does not come to a point, a perfect point, with no rounding, chipping, or any other imperfection or irregularity discernible under whatever magnification you can muster, change it, it's dull.

Don't have a loupe? Get one.

binki

Don't have a loupe? Get one.

Go to the Braille Institute. They have a store with some great stuff. We got a 7.5 diopter mangifier and a 3x lighted magnifer from them. The 3x lighted shows true colors with a very intense light for a small package and the 7.5 magnifier is great for small items such as looking at the blades or threading embroidery needles.