• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Reflective

ONLINE SIGN GUY

I will be doing my first police car where I will be doing the designing and the cutting of the vinyl. Before they had a kit they ordered and we installed.

When you cut reflective vinyl, I was told you either needed to use a different angles blade, or cut by doing multiple passes? I assume this is due the the thickness of the vinyl, I believe the vinyl to be used was 7mil. we were also looking for a recommendation of a good brand to use, we primary deal with Oracal and 3M.

There are no severe contours to deal with, but certainty not a flat surface, also they say never wet apply reflective, do you find this to be true?

Application is on a 2011 Impala.

Thanks in advance

Blaney

I've only used Oracal reflective. Never had a problem with it. I cut it with a 45 degree blade. I change the pressure on my Graphtec to 24.

CentralSigns

Just make sure the reflective is made to conform to curves. It's not all created equal in that respect, you would be surprised.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The 45° blade, more pressure and don't do wet. 3M or Oracal are your best bet.

Never heard of multiple passes.

Custom_Grafx

The 45° blade, more pressure and don't do wet. 3M or Oracal are your best bet.

Never heard of multiple passes.

I think I've seen it mentioned in the roland manual somewhere - but I have also never done it on reflective. I tried it once on some "glow in the dark" stuff coz it was quite thick and tough... regretted it. If it's anything bigger than a certain size, even if it's 0.1mm off, it screws your job.

Congrats to the OP for getting the job and best of luck to you. Hope it goes well.

Trimline20

There are reflective vinyls made for flat signs and others specifically for vehicle applications. Ensure that you use the proper grade for vehicles, otherwise it will often crack, especially in inside corners of lettering.

For police installations, 3M Scotchlite is often the brand specified. HERE is a link to info on Scotchlite 680.

Does the police service you're doing the layout for, have a specific requirement? Ask! I understand that Avery had some problems a few years ago with their reflective materials, nut I understand that the problems have since been rectified.

Cutting reflective materials will wear blades very rapidly as the material contains glass beads to help provide the reflective properties. I often use a worn 45` blade at a higher pressure to cut reflective sheeting. Any police vehicle graphics I have cut, have not incorporated small, complex reflective items so the non-prime blade has not presented any cutting issues on large items.

When weeding, pull the weeded vinyl away on an angle instead of straight-up. The blade will cut the top most layers and any underlying layers (ie: thick adhesive) will be scored and can be 'ripped' cleanly along the score line. Ensure that you do cut deep enough as reflective film will tear easily if not cut adequately.

Each vinyl manufacturer will provide a specification sheet if you ask or bother to search on-line. I have never seen any reflective approved for wet installation and in-fact, some conventional vinyls are also only rated for dry installation and should never be installed wet.

To make alignment and positioning easier, use a positionable material such as 3M Reflective with Controltac adhesive. It has a micro bead adhesive which is not overly sticky until the beads are broken during squeegeeing thereby releasing the adhesive to provide full adhesion. Of course, since the adhesive is not initially aggressive, weeding becomes somewhat trickier, especially for small items. This is also my reason for weeding away at an angle.

Mark

ONLINE SIGN GUY

Wow, great responses and great info from all of you, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge, once again I know I can always count on Signs 101!

:U Rock: