• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cutting sand blast mask with graphtec CE5000-60

amy s.

Anybody know if you can cut sand blast mask with this plotter...24"? Can you increase the down force on the ROLLERS? Mine cuts vinyl great but I'm wondering about the mask. I know you have to use a sharper angle blade for mask. I've been cutting mask for years on my old 4b and it is reliable but I would like to use the graphtec. Try asking a question of graphtec tech support...lol.:Big Laugh

J Hill Designs

since its a much thicker material, I dont think you want to increase roller pressure - it will dig into the rubber and cause bad bad skewing

I cut s/b mask on my friction fed 24" roland - slow to a CRAWL and copy/paste what is being cut so that each piece cuts twice one after the other (so it doesnt have to go all the way back to origin and recut) -- I usually find I cant put enough force on a single cut

amy s.

J. Hill, what do you mean:

"copy/paste what is being cut so that each piece cuts twice one after the other (so it doesnt have to go all the way back to origin and recut)" ?

I'm not following this. Is it cutting twice on the same line?

J Hill Designs

yeah.

if you just tell the cutting program to cut twice (at least mine) it will cut the whole thing, then come back to the origin and recut.

if you copy/paste a second copy of the graphic, and the select all and send, it will cut each shape twice one after the other, dropping the error margin a bit

JimmyG

I cut Anchor 155 stencil on my Graphtec....You HAVE to use the larger 1.5mm blades http://www.graphtecamericastore.com/blades/ and the red tip blade holder #PHP33-CB15n-HS specifically for those blades... http://www.graphtecamericastore.com/php33-cb15n-hs/

Also, the Anchor stencil is heavy and does not flow well off the roll and roll rollers in rear of plotter....I set up a 24" x 4-6ft. "table board" to the rear horizontal and on top of an empty core & rollers and even with the platten...I usually cut off the length of stencil that I need and feed into the plotter from this horizontal "table" in rear...This way I don't get any "drag with the stencil feed...
Slow the plotter down to lowest setting... I usually fold the stencil into a couple loops on the feed table and stand by with the plot so I can minimize and material drag....Such is most important with the process...

I NEVER have to cut twice....it's all in the proper blade setup, feed speed, and the improvised "feed table"....

amy s.

Ah, great! That makes sense. I was noticing the current blade is not very deep.

I'm using Anchor #116 stencil that has the punched clear plastic edges for the 4B. For the friction feed plotter would I want non-punched...I've never seen it...does it have mask right to the edge? You guys have helped me a great deal and I appreciate your time and expertise.

amy s.

Wow! Those blades and the holder are mega-expensive. Any other sources for generic....I know, they aren't as good, but.....

JimmyG

Amy, the Anchor #153 & 155 are just like the 116, clear sides but without the holes, and 24" stencil...

Yeah, the blades and holder are expensive, but it can't be done on the Graphtec without those...shop around for suppliers....I have not seen any generics for the blade holder which is a one time purchase...