Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutting sandblast mask

Discussion in 'Dimensional Signs' started by amy s., Jul 29, 2016.

1. amy s.

amy s. Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Missouri
    So, what's the best way to cut mask now? I've been using an old 4b for 20 years and it works great.....is the sprocket fed still the best way?

Tags:
  2. ChaseO

ChaseO Member

May 3, 2012
    I'm not familiar with the 4b, but I'm assuming it is an old plotter? Anyway, I cut the ask with a friction fed plotter, 60 degree blade and it cuts no problem. I will say the mask that I have bought in the last 10 years or so from Hartco is thinner than the mask that dad used to buy. The thinner mask is easier to work with in every aspect, and I haven't had any issues with it, but that is also blasting HDU that goes a little quicker than wood.

3. BillyBoy86

BillyBoy86 Member

May 26, 2015
    South Heights, PA
    i use a friction fed plotter also.
    i think i use the thickest hartco material, but a 60 blade and slow speed usually works well.
    i don't get super detailed with any of that though, but most of my blasting is done into stone,

4. tbullo

tbullo Superunknown

Apr 5, 2012
    VA
    We use anchor mask here. I still hand cut large letters, borders and plotter cut my small text.

5. amy s.

amy s. Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Missouri
    Really!! You cut with a friction feed? I have a Graphtec ce5000 so are you saying I can cut sandblast mask with it? I'm thinking I tried it years ago unsuccessfully but maybe I needed a different blade. What do you set the down force at? And where do you get the 60 deg blade? I've never had to buy blades for mine yet. This may be the solution to all my problems. I just assumed I would need the sprocket feed of the Gerber 4b to hold the material and get a good cut. I'm excited!!

6. mfatty500

mfatty500 Active Member

May 10, 2010
    Sugar Grove, Ill
    I've cut Hartco 425 with my Grapthec CE5000 using a 60* blade and 2 passes

7. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Ok...here goes:

1) We cut sandblast mask 99.9% of the time, and we use a Gerber GS 15 plotter.

2) We mainly use Hartco 310 10 mil thick for our smaller work (with a drag knife) and Anchor 116 (tangential knife) for our large work seen here http://www.jarsa.net.

3) Hartco is PVC based, and is not "rubbery", unless you're using some of their newer monument stencil but that's just PVC with a talc additive to make it supple.

4) In my opinion, the thicker Hartco stencil is not as easy to cut as real rubber...believe me, I've spent dozens of hours doing side by side tests.

5) For true rubber sandblast stencil such as 3M or Anchor, ALWAYS use sprocket fed plotters, or a flat bed cutter, or a laser.

6) Hartco 310 can be easily cut with a friction fed plotter, but I can't say for sure about the thicker Hartco materials.

7) Hartco (no matter what mil or types) has a very limited shelf life. As the PVC continues to age (and outgas), it becomes stiffer and more brittle and it's aqueous-based adhesive begins to get gummy. Every roll is typically date-coded and I send back anything that is over a year old. For some jobs, anything over six months old is pushing it for me.

8) Unless it's glass, always use Hartco on a sealed substrate. Whatever they use in their adhesive leaves behind a very distinct, and obvious halo. On darker-colored bare stone, that halo is sill visible even after a couple of years outdoors...seriously.

JB

8. BillyBoy86

BillyBoy86 Member

May 26, 2015
    South Heights, PA
    I set the force at the maximum. I get the 60 from my local supplier. I set the blade depth enough to cut all the way through and slow the speed ALL the way down. Sometimes I double cut the whole thing also. Hope that helps

9. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    I cut my Hartco sandmask on a Roland GX-24 with 60 degree blade and 210 pressure. Cuts like butter and weeds perfectly.

10. Bob Thomasson

Bob Thomasson New Member

May 6, 2020
    Reno, Nevada
    Amy, I know this thread is kind of old. Did you try cutting sandblast mask with your CE5000? How did it work out? Thank you, Bob