• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cutting sandblast material

ABPGraphics

Just need advice - Have not cut the stuff in years - I have a customer that wants me to cut the mask and apply to Cedar blanks I will get the mask from Fellers - what mask would you recommend - the regular HARTCO SANDMASK or the HARTCO EQUALIZER reg. grip?

I will be cutting with my Roland PC-600 - any tips for cutting ... depth of blade, etc....

:thankyou:

theskipman_98

I use to use Gerber Mask II, but we cut it using an Envision 375 tractor feed. When it cut it was like cutting thick reflective, down force and slow. Our other shop uses a similar product on and old Roland Camm plotter. With that said you really have to watch the tracking. The best results come by using 2 pinch-rollers, feed out the material, and back it up over the tracks it indents into the material. Depending on the size of the project you can cut into more manageable panels and overlap the seams.

J Hill Designs

I use anchor 117 - slow cut speed, heavy force, and I almost always double cut (copy/paste over cut file, select all then send)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't think a 600 will cut that without ruining it [the machine]. Only a guess. We never cut that stuff on there.

117 is the best, but I would use a heavier machine.

Team One Displays

I like Anchor the best but the hartco 425 series works well on cedar. It's thinner than the anchor and costs less but it can release or burn up during the blasting process. The Anchor is superior but just be careful when removing the mask as the Anchor 117 adheres so well it can pull up the cedar.

I know some machines will not cut the Anchor - it's just too heavy.

You can always do it by hand! Cover the blank in sandlast mask, print the vector lines on paper, apply spray mount to the sandblast mask, then lay the paper down. Carefully cut the lines with an exacto without cutting into the wood, then pull up the excess. Too much fun!

J Hill Designs

anchor 117 adheres well, thats what I like about it...I always finish/fill my cedar and give it 3-4 coats of spar varnish (first 2 thinned down) then paint before applying mask

oh and i cut on pnc-950 w/60deg blade

surf city

+1 for the Anchor but, make sure you prime the blank first as it will help the cedar to release the mask easier.