• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting software? Omega? Flexi? Corel?

ironchef

Ive been using gerber omega since forever, and when i cut stuff on my mimaki, i use corel. Im looking to leave omega behind (so expensive!) thinking of switching to another program, or just installing corel on all the computers. Any thoughts? Anyone use corel for all their cutting?

jfiscus

Rap Master
We use Omega for all of our plotters except for when Onyx controls the print/cut files. I think it works great.

TomK

Gerber is still useful software. Don't upgrade but keep it.
Corel all the way.

Flexi cloud, full edition, $49 per month, drives my HP Latex printer, Graphtec FC8600 and Summa S2T cutters, along with my older Edge Thermal printer.

OldPaint

been cutting from corel since 1992. iam one of the 1st ones to figure it out. corel 3.0 was a little problem with its desktop workspace of only 30" X 30".......but i also figured how to cut bigger stuff to my roland PNC-1000. WHILE OTHERS who had gerber was paying up to $100 bucks a font, i could cut any font that was in windows)))))) not till corel 7.0 did the desktop work space change........to 150' X 150'!!!!! that opened up a whole new way of cutting vinyl. i have had opportunity to work other sign programs.......and still CUT FROM COREL))))) signlab, flexi, casmate, vinylmaster, sign wizard.......all good. some things one does better than others. SIGN LAB has the best node editing, sign wizard has the best font manipulation right on the desktop,,,,,,,,,,,,especially making arc layouts...........i used PRO-CUT, LETTER ART.......still preferred corel.
only program i hated with a passion was GERBER ADVANTAGE 6.0..........and the price for that....was ridiculous.

ams

Flexi cloud, full edition, $49 per month, drives my HP Latex printer, Graphtec FC8600 and Summa S2T cutters, along with my older Edge Thermal printer.

See you are paying a subscription monthly, with Corel you don't pay monthly fees.

brdesign

been cutting from corel since 1992. iam one of the 1st ones to figure it out. corel 3.0 was a little problem with its desktop workspace of only 30" X 30".......but i also figured how to cut bigger stuff to my roland PNC-1000. WHILE OTHERS who had gerber was paying up to $100 bucks a font, i could cut any font that was in windows)))))) not till corel 7.0 did the desktop work space change........to 150' X 150'!!!!! that opened up a whole new way of cutting vinyl. i have had opportunity to work other sign programs.......and still CUT FROM COREL))))) signlab, flexi, casmate, vinylmaster, sign wizard.......all good. some things one does better than others. SIGN LAB has the best node editing, sign wizard has the best font manipulation right on the desktop,,,,,,,,,,,,especially making arc layouts...........i used PRO-CUT, LETTER ART.......still preferred corel.
only program i hated with a passion was GERBER ADVANTAGE 6.0..........and the price for that....was ridiculous.

Are able to cut directly from Corel Draw, if so how? or does it require a separate plug in?

I have old copy of corel X5 sitting on my shelf but never really used it except for the font navigator.

papabud

Lone Wolf
I have never been a fan of corel. I prefer my Illustrator with cutting master plug in.
I use cutting master 2. Thought about updating to 3 but then i would have to update the firmware in my cutter. I just didn't feel like breaking something that is working flawless.
Since my design workflow is in Illustrator it makes it quick and easy, no need to load up a different program.

OldPaint

DEPENDS........ on the plotter you have.
GRAPHTEC & ROLAND have d/l driver available. but should work to any plotter that uses HPGL as it primary info input.
X5 will work. you d/l the driver install it, in COREL you choose the plotter as your printer......and use print command to cut.
back when corel 5.0 came out, it and 6.0 was void of the cutting engine/code, as COREL made some arrangment with a company called CO-CUT/EURO-CUT, that sold a sign specific cutting program. the code/engine..........was CORELS)))) COREL 7.0, they put it back into corel. it works so good and it never has crashed on me. can cut all day long............never a glitch.

J Hill Designs

Ive been using gerber omega since forever, and when i cut stuff on my mimaki, i use corel. Im looking to leave omega behind (so expensive!) thinking of switching to another program, or just installing corel on all the computers. Any thoughts? Anyone use corel for all their cutting?
so expensive? its a one time fee. why upgrade if it works?

ChiknNutz

I started with CoCut Pro back in 2003. I got this along with my first cutter for a good price, a SummaCut D60 which I still use to this day. I like it pretty well and it does have some nice features that I regularly. These include welding (by color or automatic), round corners (super handy for getting rid of sharp corner on some lettering or other graphic elements), tiling for things that are too large for your media, weeding lines and borders. I am using an outdated version but was able to figure out how to get it to work with Corel X7 & Windows 10 (had to modify the VBA script a little). I am currently using this with Corel X7 (have been a Corel user since version 9).

ironchef

so expensive? its a one time fee. why upgrade if it works?
i have corel x7, omega 5 and ga. We primarily use ga to cut, so whatever i design on corel i have to export to omega 5 and then ga, and i have a bunch of diff folders. I want to consolidate. We are also digitizing all our invoices. Im just trying to organize the business a bit.

J Hill Designs

i have corel x7, omega 5 and ga. We primarily use ga to cut, so whatever i design on corel i have to export to omega 5 and then ga, and i have a bunch of diff folders. I want to consolidate. We are also digitizing all our invoices. Im just trying to organize the business a bit.
not understanding the omega to graphics advantage part. omega should be able to send to cutters?
I'm still using omega 1.56 to cut with after designing in corel.

ironchef

not understanding the omega to graphics advantage part. omega should be able to send to cutters? I'm still using omega 1.56 to cut with after designing in corel.
Yea, we got the omega 5 on a graphtec fc8000 and the ga on an old mimaki plotter, but the main workhorse is the ga station, and corel x7 with the mimaki cjv30

TomK

See you are paying a subscription monthly, with Corel you don't pay monthly fees.

Yep, and it doesn't bother me one bit, I get updates included, phone support included, which I use a few times a month. I also pay $19 for 2 design stations, I figure the < $100 a month for a core piece of software we use day in and day out is cheap. I also subscribe to Adobe CC too! Blasphemy!

Small time shop, the ~$100 I spend a month in software is nothing, about 1 nice dinner a month with the family.