Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutting Strips a Replacement Item?

Discussion in 'Roland' started by Arlo Kalon 2.0, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Arlo Kalon 2.0

Arlo Kalon 2.0 Very Active Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Reno, TX
    I'm wondering if the thin white strip on my 2nd plotter that the blade rides on is a removable thing that wears out? The manual I downloaded doesn't answer this. It seems to have a barely noticable groove wearing in it about six inches long at the left end.

Since I'm still getting used to a friction plotter, I don't know if this will eventually affect cut quality?

If ya hafta replace 'em, how do they come out & where do ya get another one? (It's a PNC950).

Tags:
  2. Jackpine

Jackpine Major Contributor

Mine was on a Roland PNC1000. They cost about $10.00 from any dealer that sells Rolands. It is a easy replacement task. They do make a difference in the cut quaility.

3. jbennett

jbennett Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Tennessee
    My Summa D750 cutter strip was replaceable. It had worn a groove also. The new strip really made a big difference in the smoothness of my cutting. I would recommend replacing it if possible, especially if you have ever had the blade to come into direct contact with it (vinyl misfeeds). It is hard to see how bad the strip is until you replace it and see the difference (at least in my case).

jbennett

4. SAS

SAS Active Member

Aug 23, 2005
    NC
    You should be able to flip it over and use the other side.

5. jbennett

jbennett Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Tennessee
    :cool1: Wish my Summa was that way.

6. Cadmn

Cadmn Very Active Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Arlo thet are replaceable & it affects cutting by skips normally call if ya need help man about $10.00 part. I didn't flip mine just replaced it right after I got
    my cutter.

7. Jackpine

Jackpine Major Contributor

I don't think you can flip the strip. The Roland's have an adhesive back on them....at least mine did. Huge difference in cut quaility. Becon Graphics, Rayco, Sign Outlet mabe even Feller's may have them.

8. njsigns

njsigns Very Active Member

May 25, 2005

In short, yes it is.

Now's probably a good time to get a new one

Yes, probably soon too - I have no personal experience with this happening myself, but have read about it quite a bit. If your blade is set too deep or if the blade has "gone off" the material you are cutting you can expect to see this happen.

I'd try going here and searching for "manual" and make sure to check the box "support documents" There are tons of manuals for all kinds of Roland machine, new and legacy - I also read here "The cutter protection strip should be changed about every year or when cuts appear in the strip. Use a screwdriver to pry off the old strip, remove any adhesive using Rapid Remover (page 8), dry and install the new strip."

I found them here http://www.beacongraphics.com/cutter-strips.html

Hope this helps

Gene

9. Raniece

Raniece Member

Apr 22, 2006
    yes replace the little white strip if it has even a small amount of wear.
    Made a huge difference when I figured this out. LOL..
    Cuts are much smoother, and much easier to weed.
    Raniece