• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting styrene on esko v series

ktyler1320

We have been using our esko v series since September, I recently cut styrene with it with our rigid material knife. The edges are a little rough where the blade passes, I tried a slimmer knife but still get the rough edges. Is there a way to avoid this? I'm still learning, so open to any suggestions. Thank you.

ktyler1320

They are brand new blades, we just got the machine new in September. I tried a slimmer blade we have never used before and it still did it. I tried slowing the machine down to half the speed and still got the rough edges.

ChrisN

Cutting styrene with a normal double-bevel knife raises a burr on either side of the cut line. You can get single-bevel knives that will push the burr to only one side of the cut line. You do have to make sure each path cuts the proper direction so the bevel of the knife is always towards the waste side.

ktyler1320

Thank you for the replies, we are cutting through. I think all of our knives are double bevel, I will order a single and try that. Now that you say that, I remember the person that came to train us talking about that.

limacchina

Good point. It can happen when using double blades.

Cutting styrene with a normal double-bevel knife raises a burr on either side of the cut line. You can get single-bevel knives that will push the burr to only one side of the cut line. You do have to make sure each path cuts the proper direction so the bevel of the knife is always towards the waste side.