• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Substrates

Tagdog

I do not have a panel saw. I see that Grimco has a "Fletcher-Terry Substrate Cutter". Has anyone used one of these? Are they as good as Gromco claims?
But untill I can get one or the other, I will have to use my skill saw with a straight edge.
What is the best type of blade to cut with? Dibond or Maxmetal, Alumicore?

Signs Up

TonyHoles

Fletcher makes a good product. If you have a jig saw use it with a fine tooth blade. Jig saw isn't hard to get a straight line as some would think.

TLG

I've had both an Exacto Elite & now a Fletcher 3100 (same thing). Loved them both and are a great addidtion to the shop and worth the $$ to me. Works well for alum, coro,pvc, acrylic, poly. Just change cutter heads for the substrate type. I can shave as little as 1/16" off most things and if set-up right, it will save you lots of time when cutting multiple repeat pieces.

Does not work for wood/Omega Board etc. but a sharp, quality jig saw and circular saw and some quality saw horse tables cover that.

I bought mine from Jason @ All Square (South Carolina) which I believe is a member here. Good people to work with and had the best price.

Good luck!

ChiknNutz

I've looked at those compared to a reg. panel saw. However, you cannto rip a 4x8 sheet with one of those right? They only allow you to cross-cut from what I've read. Is that the case?

TLG

Yes, only up/down cuts. I think mine handles up to 52" tall so anything longer requires a straight edge/knife.

imaSIGNr

If you do alot of cutting ,then yes a panel saw, but I've always just used a straight edge. It comes in (2) 50 " pieces that fit together for full sheets or halve it for smaller pieces. Clamps on the edges and just cut with a skill saw. I use a good carbide tooth combination blade is all. No problems.
A panel saw can be costly and take up a lot of space. We had one once where I used to work and it was more of a pain than just using the straight edge.

Tagdog

Thanks

Festool, I forgot about those. I've seen them at Woodcraft. I now have a great excuse to go get one.
Thanks
Signs Up

I

ilevelsign

Festool, I forgot about those. I've seen them at Woodcraft. I now have a great excuse to go get one.
Thanks
Signs Up
Careful.Once you get bitten by the festool bug it gets very expensive and those grey systainers start to mount up.