• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting t-shirt Vinyl in Roland XC-540 and blade force is too high! It's ripping the media

Signturesigns

Does anyone know how to fix blade force on the roland XC-540. I am cutting t-shirt vinyl and ive adjusted the amount of the blade exposed to various points but the blade force is still too hard on my media. I am using a very thin material that has a soft hand and am also using all clamps and pinch rollers to keep the media down and steady. At one point I lowered the blade inward so much that then it BARELY cut the material and I couldnt weed it becasue the cut lines were not deep enough. Any thoughts?

This is the first time ive used the cut feature

JaySea20

The blade force settings are simply under "Cut Config." It is a button on the main panel. I would think you would want a good sharp blade and set is to less than 40 grams.

Good Luck!

Brent Nelson

You need to adjust the pressure not the blade depth. This is under cut config. Blade should stick out roughly the width of a credit card.

tager_rot

In the years that I have used Roland cutters I have found that the amount of blade that is exposed has not been nearly as important as pressure.

Before you send you job to the printer, load the material you want to use (or a scrape piece) press the "cut config" button on the XC-540 control panel and adjust the pressure to a starting point of say 40 grams. Be sure to press enter after you drop it down to 40.

Then press "test cut". If that is not enough pressure bump it up in 5 or 10 gram increments until you barely see the cut in the backing material.

Signturesigns

In the years that I have used Roland cutters I have found that the amount of blade that is exposed has not been nearly as important as pressure.

Before you send you job to the printer, load the material you want to use (or a scrape piece) press the "cut config" button on the XC-540 control panel and adjust the pressure to a starting point of say 40 grams. Be sure to press enter after you drop it down to 40.

Then press "test cut". If that is not enough pressure bump it up in 5 or 10 gram increments until you barely see the cut in the backing material.
Brilliant, duh... I dont know why I didnt think to go explore the menu for cutting settings! I found it, thank you its working

shoresigns

It sounds like OP got it working, but if anyone's referencing this thread in the future, you may also need to check your VersaWorks settings in the Cutting tab. From there you can select the cutting pressure, or tell VersaWorks to use the current setting on the printer, and the set it on the printer.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
PSA: Also for future post seers, the amount the blade sticks out of the blade holder is a set position. Every time a new blade is installed it should be installed the same way and should not vary. The user manual for your cutter will tell you exactly how to install it properly. Force should always be changed on the machine not the blade length. If a blade sticks out too far or too little, it causes cutting issues no matter what gram force you use.