• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Table question

seattlesignguy

Banner hemming tape with drilled and recessed holes and top off with a drop of silicone that you smooth out so you don't catch the hole with your blade.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I kinda like glass but it does dull the blades pretty quick.
We use the stainless Olfa blades as we also do tint, so it is not so bad.
Check out your local glass co to see if you can get a deal on tempered glass around the size you need that has blemishes and can't be sold for windows.
We got a bunch free from a shipment that had gotten wet and clouded up before it was removed from the packing material.

wayne k
guam usa

SignaramaFL

We have a 4' x 16' table, with 2 4' x 8' mats, and I love them, for some reason when i started there was a thick piece of glass under it, needless to say the glass is gone now (and it was a mess to clean up). I wouldnt go with anything other than the mats. And as far as nailing them down, as many have said already dont do it, Ive never had an issue with them slipping around, even when im climbing off and on the table.

WrapperX

Well we cut down about 30 sheets of coro a day (we do mostly real estate signs) and mats don't seem to work too well for us at all. I have 2 pieces of glass that were off cut sizes from a job for someone else from our local glass store that were free and we have been cutting on them for 4 years. My mat lasted me 1 month and went to cut down decals and it just follows the grooves in it. Yes I'm sure we cut to hard through it, but I sure don't wanna cut 4 times through a piece of coro. As for the girls dancing on it, I couldn't tell you.... I have it on my pool table and we remove it when we have people over, but they can dance on the pool table just fine :)

http://www.amazon.com/Saw-Trax-CCD4-Coro-Claw-4mm/dp/B000MPMCQS

Why are you cutting 30 sheets of coro a day by hand, with an xacto knife? They make tools that cut it a heck of a lot easier and quicker.

+1

Salmoneye

We have 3/4" glass on our table and my wife was walking up and down it for 20 minutes last night getting two sheets of glued substrate to adhere to one another. You can drop a hell of a lot on a piece that thick without breaking it. You have a lot more control on glass because it doesn't give under your knife, much easier to to through vinyl without going through backer, much flatter for scoring the backs of decals, tip of blade doesn't drag in the mat, crisper cuts... I have used both but could never go back completely, would at least have to have one of each.

jolly_john

Thanks for all of the responses. It looks like I'll use the screws on this first table. At this early point in my career, I'll just be tickled to have a respectable work space.

Happy Memorial Day!
Freedom isn't free...
jolly_john