• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Thick Material...

brainbucket

Hi,

First time poster, long time stalker. I have a Graphtec FC8000-160 that I have been using for a little over a year. In general I really like the machine. I have had decent luck with most CutContours and been mostly happy with the results. One of the things that I got into this business for is printing motocross graphics with thick laminates. In this regard I'm having a pretty hard time getting the Graphtec to get the job done. I have a 60° blade installed and I have the pressure maxed out and the speed on 5 and I can't get the knife to penetrate the vinyl. Currently I'm using The Thick Stuff based out of the UK http://www.thethickstuff.com/mx-vinyl-dirt-bike-sticker-graphics-english.html which I don't know that I will use again because the print material (7mil) is wreaking havoc on my printer, and I'm having this issue with the laminate (20.5mil). I have used the Oracal 3105HT material with Pro-Shield 12 mil laminate, and it seems to do better, but not a ton. So is 27.5mil just too thick to cut on my Graphtec or am I doing something wrong? Is there an additional setting that I can get more pressure? I'll be honest I haven't spent the time to dig through the manual and see what I can find there, so if that is the answer so be it, I can do that, but thanks for any guidance anyway!

Thanks,
Brainbucket

QuickSilver2605

The new 8600 will do 59.1mil (1.49mm) according to their spec sheet, the only thing I could find on the 8000 was a max of 1mm. Some cross multiplication came out to 39.9mil (not sure if that is accurate)

FC8000 • Self-adhesive vinyl film, diamond grade, fluorescent film, reflective film, AmberlithTM , RubylithTM , window film, high-intensity reflective film*3 , paint protection film, up to 0.25 mm tick , sandblast resist rubber up to 1 mm thick, etc.

You will have to get a different blade and bladeholder to get to that thick I believe

brainbucket

I have tried a little bit of double cutting, but I have a pretty hard time getting the pressure correct on the second time around... Usually it will cut right through the backing paper, at least at first until I can adjust it. I may just have to resort to that, I just wasn't sure if I was blatantly missing something. I'm assuming the key is to not remove the material from the cutter before starting the second round of cuts?

Thanks for the info!
Brainbucket

brainbucket

I think I gotcha now. So when you do a double cut you add a second CutContour to the print file? Is there anyway to do that in Onyx as opposed to having to reprint the entire project?

Thanks,
Brainbucket

John in Cali

The red blade holder and corresponding blade is what you should use...

Attachments

• Graphtec_Blade_TableLS.jpg
    Graphtec_Blade_TableLS.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 114