• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Through 080

moondog69591

I am using a gerber sabre and i am trying to route 080 and my problem is that the bit keeps breaking. I am using a homemade water cooling system and i am also using a 3/16 inch bit to cut wit. Was wondering what bit i should be using or any ideas on what deed rate i should have the spindle at.

Techman

slow down the feed speed.. and water is not good for aluminum.. it needs some juice with it. IT doesnt really cool the bit,, its for keeping the metal from clogging the bit.. which causes breakage

moondog69591

sorry i am not just using water i am also using a solution calledtrim mist mixed with water and then adding a small amount of dish soap.

k.a.s.

I always use a 1/4" bit, it takes a lot to break it. What kind of feeds are you running? I would be about 40-60 ipm with a 1/4" bit.

gerald

With .080 alum 3/16 will work. 1/4 is ideal. Minimum is double the dia. of the bit per the metal thickness. Slow the feed rate to 35 to 40 ipm. Cut in one pass, not 2 or 3. Assuming your spindle speed is around 18000. Like Techman said, the oil is for keeping the hot alum. from sticking to the steel bit.

I assume the bit is sharp as well. When they start to wear, toss em.

moondog69591

The bits are brand new and i have the rpms set at 1800 but i have no idea on where to find the ipm at. is it on the router somewhere?????

moondog69591

just to let everyone know i am using artpath and when i select what drill bit i want to use i have a feed (in/min) and also a plunge (in/min)what should those be set at for cutting through 080 aluminum

I like single flute upspiral bits

Here's my speeds

1/8" CED 18-20,000RPM's .40" IPS
Plunge Speed .20-.40" IPS
1/4" CED 12,000 RPM's @ 1" IPS

i swill use WD-40 and shoot the bit every 30 secs or so. Do all these in one pass. .080 is butter. I like Belin Bits or Onsrud Super O are nice bits for this work. I get nice harmonics with these feeds and speeds

ps. If your snapping bits sounds like your feed is to fast

gerald

I use artcam and an AXYZ router. I set my ipm on the router control panel. If you a manual for your router I'd look there for the speed control.