Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Opinion Cutting Through Scrim?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Print & Cut Systems' started by DerbyCitySignGuy, Feb 21, 2017.

1. DerbyCitySignGuy

DerbyCitySignGuy Very Active Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Kentucky
    Having a heck of a time cutting through banner scrim on a Zund G3 3XL-1600 using a UCT with a Z10 blade. Anybody have any tricks or tips to get through the vinyl and the scrim in one pass? At this point, I'd even be okay with doing a second pass. It's not causing any big problems as the scrim can just be quickly cut or separated by hand, but my anal retentivness is making me stress and it IS adding a bit of hand labor that shouldn't be necessary.

Tags:
  2. thomlov

thomlov New Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Norway
    Should cut trough like butter. Did you try lowering the knife 0,1 - 0,2 mm ?
    Are you using the ZS or ZP module?

3. DerbyCitySignGuy

Dec 12, 2013
    Kentucky
    Yes, have adjusted the depth quite a bit. There are just some bits of scrim that don't seem to want to completely cut. I'm using the ZS module right now. Should I be using the ZP?

4. thomlov

thomlov New Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Norway
    ZP gives you a lot more downpressure as it's more powerfull, maybe try it, 30 kg's of downforce.
    Does it cut trough some sections and not other parts? Try going down even more.

I cut at 1000mm/sec and -0,3 mm, 1 pass.
    Sorry for the metric units :)

5. thomlov

thomlov New Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Norway

6. DerbyCitySignGuy

Dec 12, 2013
    Kentucky
    I'll give the ZP a shot!

It cuts through almost the entire way, but leaves the scrim in a few places. I'm at 0.381mm and ~1,000mm/s. I can probably go a bit deeper if I need to, but I'm cutting at almost twice the thickness of the material as it is. I don't want to get too crazy!

Thanks for the pointers!

7. DerbyCitySignGuy

Dec 12, 2013
    Kentucky
    ZP totally worked. Thanks a bunch!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I just like happy endings. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. thomlov

thomlov New Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Norway
    Great, happy cutting :)

• I Appreciate You I Appreciate You x 1
  10. MAC Specialties

MAC Specialties New Member

Jan 20, 2017
    Oceanside, NY
    This was very interesting. I never knew there was a difference between the ZP and ZS modules. I'm using a G3 3XL-3200 model and I've always thought that it didn't matter which module I used for cutting. Also, what tools would you guys recommend using the ZP and ZS modules for? Does one work best with a creasing wheel or does one work best with an oscillating knife? Thanks.

11. thomlov

thomlov New Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Norway
    zs - for kiss cut it is alot faster than zp.
    For creasing use zp. Oscilating use zs or zp, doesnt really matter
    Uct on zp

So essentially everything that needs downpressure on zp, zs for everything else :)

12. MAC Specialties

MAC Specialties New Member

Jan 20, 2017
    Oceanside, NY
    Thank you. Also, which one would you recommend using for the VCT for cutting v cuts?

13. DerbyCitySignGuy

Dec 12, 2013
    Kentucky
    We generally use which ever one is open for the v-cut tool, but I'd say your best bet is the ZS so you can get it done quicker, since you're not (or shouldn't be) cutting all the way through with the VCT.

14. thomlov

thomlov New Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Norway
    Shouldn't really matter, doub't you see much difference between them.