• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Through Scrim?

DerbyCitySignGuy

Having a heck of a time cutting through banner scrim on a Zund G3 3XL-1600 using a UCT with a Z10 blade. Anybody have any tricks or tips to get through the vinyl and the scrim in one pass? At this point, I'd even be okay with doing a second pass. It's not causing any big problems as the scrim can just be quickly cut or separated by hand, but my anal retentivness is making me stress and it IS adding a bit of hand labor that shouldn't be necessary.

thomlov

Should cut trough like butter. Did you try lowering the knife 0,1 - 0,2 mm ?
Are you using the ZS or ZP module?

DerbyCitySignGuy

Should cut trough like butter. Did you try lowering the knife 0,1 - 0,2 mm ?
Are you using the ZS or ZP module?

Yes, have adjusted the depth quite a bit. There are just some bits of scrim that don't seem to want to completely cut. I'm using the ZS module right now. Should I be using the ZP?

thomlov

ZP gives you a lot more downpressure as it's more powerfull, maybe try it, 30 kg's of downforce.
Does it cut trough some sections and not other parts? Try going down even more.

I cut at 1000mm/sec and -0,3 mm, 1 pass.
Sorry for the metric units :)

DerbyCitySignGuy

ZP gives you a lot more downpressure as it's more powerfull, maybe try it, 30 kg's of downforce.
Does it cut trough some sections and not other parts? Try going down even more.

I cut at 1000mm/sec and -0,3 mm, 1 pass.
Sorry for the metric units :)

I'll give the ZP a shot!

It cuts through almost the entire way, but leaves the scrim in a few places. I'm at 0.381mm and ~1,000mm/s. I can probably go a bit deeper if I need to, but I'm cutting at almost twice the thickness of the material as it is. I don't want to get too crazy!

Thanks for the pointers!

MAC Specialties

This was very interesting. I never knew there was a difference between the ZP and ZS modules. I'm using a G3 3XL-3200 model and I've always thought that it didn't matter which module I used for cutting. Also, what tools would you guys recommend using the ZP and ZS modules for? Does one work best with a creasing wheel or does one work best with an oscillating knife? Thanks.

thomlov

zs - for kiss cut it is alot faster than zp.
For creasing use zp. Oscilating use zs or zp, doesnt really matter
Uct on zp

So essentially everything that needs downpressure on zp, zs for everything else :)

MAC Specialties

zs - for kiss cut it is alot faster than zp.
For creasing use zp. Oscilating use zs or zp, doesnt really matter
Uct on zp

So essentially everything that needs downpressure on zp, zs for everything else :)
Thank you. Also, which one would you recommend using for the VCT for cutting v cuts?

DerbyCitySignGuy

Thank you. Also, which one would you recommend using for the VCT for cutting v cuts?

We generally use which ever one is open for the v-cut tool, but I'd say your best bet is the ZS so you can get it done quicker, since you're not (or shouldn't be) cutting all the way through with the VCT.