• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting through thick material.

Kolb

I am trying to make some decals for gas pump control. I am using 3M IJ white printed decals and then laminating them with a thick 10 Mil Polycarbonate lamination. I am trying to cut through it with a Graphtec FC7000-130 plotter but I not getting very good results. I have tried using the 60 degree plotter blades and I got it to work for a short time but then the blade broke and the next two I tried the blade broke in that as well. Has anyone done/tried this before or does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

John in Cali

The CB15U blade will work with the red top blade holder.

Attachments

• Graphtec_Blade_TableLS.jpg
    Graphtec_Blade_TableLS.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 79

Kolb

Awesome thanks for the help!!, The new Holder and Blades helped as well as making it a 2 pass cut, now my next issue, the material is quite rigid and it bows a little bit. When the plotter head is traveling between cuts the blade actually scrapes the top layer of laminate and scratches it and its pretty noticeable. I have a Graphtec FC7000-130 I have the fan power the highest, and the blade almost as far as it can go in the holder. Any Suggestions to fix this issue?

Kolb

Using all the wheels I have on the machine.

And yeah, im asking alot, im just to happy with what this plotter has done for me so far just hoping it had some more magic left. Currently cutting it by hand but it has lots of curves so it take a really long time plus its no always perfect.

hansman

Do you know anyone nearby with a Zund?
It may be to late as you need to pre-plan ahead with dots on the print for cut registration but 10 mil + material is too thick IMHO for a printer/ cutter.

TammieH

I used to cut parts out like this everyday on a Flatbed plotter

Yeah, I think its too much for your plotter also

Aklaim

Wrap the laminated print, with the print side out around an empty 3" core for a few hours, or even over night to retrain it to bend the opposite way. We do it all the time with die cut prints.