• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting very small vinyl

David6ft6

I tried to search for other posts and now I'll try to describe my problem.
First off, I'm using a Graphtec Craft Robo Pro with Flexi.
When I'm cutting a decal out sometimes the small pieces will pick up off of the wax backing and lands on top of the vinyl next to the hole I just cut. It's not bad when it is the interior and it is being removed anyway but it happens on the exterior pieces as well. I've tried different settings and I'm about to go crazy.
My current setting on Flexi are:
Cut slow, Tool check, Pressure uncheck, FD check value 35 and speed check value 30.
I'm using a 45 deg blade (new).
Any ideas?

Thanks for any help,
David

Pat Whatley

Cut bigger letters.
Use a better quality vinyl.
Use a 30 deg. blade.
Cut as slow as possible.
Cut bigger letters.

Just because your machine will cut an 1/8" letter doesn't mean you want to.

David6ft6

Sorry,

Vinyl is Orcal 651 and it is not letters but just like a square or diamond about 1/32" to 1/16"

Thanks,
David

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Sorry,

Vinyl is Orcal 651 and it is not letters but just like a square or diamond about 1/32" to 1/16"

Thanks,
David

You're down to a size that is borderline. Even if you can cut it, you may not be able to weed it. Even if you can weed it, it may not stay on very long when applied. If the detail is that small, think about a way to get it printed instead of cutting it.

David6ft6

I guess I need to redesign my decal to not include such small pieces.
I didn't know if it was the decal itself, vinyl or hardware. I tought it was more hardware settings because I've change some settings and got a little better results.

David

Sign_Boy

1/32" - 1/16"

I would think that's your problem - it's so tiny

--------------------------------------
and before anyone else says it.....

TWSS hahahahaha

Flame

I didn't know if it was the decal itself, vinyl or hardware. I tought it was more hardware settings because I've change some settings and got a little better results.

David

As has been said, that's far too small. I wouldn't even attempt cutting anything that small, there's not even enough adhesive on something like that to stay on any substrate for long.

Time for a design re-do!!! :)

David6ft6

Thanks guys for your help. I was expecting to get slam but you really gave me the direction I need. I guess the main thing is that I learn something for future designs.

Thanks Again,
David

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

David

Consider this. If you are trying to weed a shape which is 1/32" that is a decimal size of .031" at it's widest dimension. Now consider the height of your vinyl shape about .004" vinyl and .002" adhesive for a height of .006" or about 20% of the amount of adhesive that will be in contact with the substrate when applied. At that high a percentage of thickness to area the abrasion encountered in normal conditions will be sufficient to break the bond.

If the piece is not to ever be touched or cleaned, then you might get away with it. In those cases, try what I've always called a reverse weeding technique. This is when you pull your centers, then apply your transfer paper without pulling the background. Now flip it over, remove the release liner and weed off the background. The letters and shapes will stay in place. When done, replace the liner until you're ready to apply.

Last edited:

Malkin

Great advice Fred.

Only other thing that has not been said, you can try to use a brand new fresh blade.

watsondesigns

also, you should be able to adjust the settings on your plotter. not sure what your using? or if it is only a few pieces you could always hand cut it. reverse weeding works really well as mentioned above