• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting vinyl directly from illustrator.

printer1061

I'm using a GCC Ultra GRC101S CS3. Where can I get a plug in to cut straight from illustrator, bypassing clunky LXI software the came with the plotter?

mrfern

I did not think you could. Please let me know if you can I am using LXI 8.6 and hate that I have to have a USB spot tied to use a piece of software.

mortil

Just checked and Signcut Productivity pro has that plotter in the dropdown list for choosing a plotter. i use that software for my Dika plotter. works perfect. you can download a trial and try for 7 days.

WildWestDesigns

I don't think you can use Illustrator to go directly to your cutter. I do have the CutStudio plugin for illustrator, but that initiates the CutStudio software for when I do the actual cutting. I just use CutStudio for cutting only and do all my design work in Illustrator.

MilanoGuru

I do it all the time just make sure the stroke is black and the smallest amount in illustrator. been doin it for 5 years or so :)

showcase 66

Just checked and Signcut Productivity pro has that plotter in the dropdown list for choosing a plotter. i use that software for my Dika plotter. works perfect. you can download a trial and try for 7 days.
If I remember correctly, Signcut costs every year and if you change computers for cutting, you have to purchase more seats for it. I used it a couple years ago on a laptop. Every time I would put it in the docking station for some reason, it would want a different code to open the software.

But if I remember right it was pretty easy to use.

mortil

If I remember correctly, Signcut costs every year and if you change computers for cutting, you have to purchase more seats for it. I used it a couple years ago on a laptop. Every time I would put it in the docking station for some reason, it would want a different code to open the software.

But if I remember right it was pretty easy to use.

easy as hell and nice i think. i just run it on my laptop connected to the plotter. but YES . you have a number of "transfers" on the license. but its a million times better then artcut that came with my plotter.

but directly from illustrator i dont know . but it isnt hard to press "send to signcut" then adjust the size and hit print. easy thing.

OldPaint

i have cut direct to plotters from ANY graphics program that will read HPGL format.like a couple posters have said, make it the finest line you can, treat the plotter as a printer. ive cut from:
COREL v.3 to x3
ARTS & LETTERS EXPRESS
ILLIY
COREL PRINTHOUSE
PRINT ARTIST
ANY AUTO CAD
like i said treat plotter as PRINTER, and i have always worked from LPT-1 ports, never a problem.

GP

If you have a Graptec, I believe they have the download on their site for the Cutting Master plugin.

I have been doing that since day one. That being said, anyone want to buy and unused copy and key for LXi Master? (thanks Signwarehouse)

GP

* just googled " GCC Ultra GRC101S" --- sorry, ignore my post.

SignLogic

I'd try downloading Graphtec Cutting Master and try using a couple different graphtec models trying to get it to work with your plotter.

JERHEMI

I use FineCut 7 as well, but it isn't as easy and quick as a program dedicated to cutting vinyl because you have to setup all your cut lines and it isn't automatic like a dedicated vinyl cutting program. I only use Finecut for things that were digitally printed and have to be contour cut thats it. If I have to cut any vinyl designed in Illustrator that isn't related to printing you better believe I'm exporting it to Signlab to cut!

cartar929

here is a link to an earlier thread about this issue: http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74914

we have a graphtec fc7000 and design in illustrator while printing from a hp 8000.

in order to get around using omega to do the cut work on our plotter we had a plug-in installed on illustrator, that will output to the graphtec. the software is called cutting master 2 and the version is 1.60. to me it looks like what flexi uses to output cut paths to a plotter from what i can remember.