• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Way Off

mbarden

Hi Folks,
I am having a major issue with my print and cut and laso with straight cutting vinyl. It seems as though the media is slipping when i am trying to cut something 48" or wider. Is it possible for the pinch roller to loose it's grip? Any ideas?
Thanks
Mike B
Big River Sign Co

BTW on a side note do Roland SP users use all of the pinch rollers or as few as needed? I generally run with only the 2 outer pinch rollers. Am I making a mistake?
Thanks

jasonx

Depends. When I did a print and cut straight away I would put the pinch rollers on the outter edges only so they wouldn't mark my prints. If I was cutting laminated or media that didn't mark as such I'd use them all. It would help with tracking etc.

threeputt

I assume you're doing an environmental match everyday? That alone can cause mis-alignment on the cutting of printed media.

Also I use 3 pinchrollers for most stuff. If you find they're putting dent's or tracks in the media, then cut out the middle one.

For cutting laminated prints you don't want any slippage. Also, make certain there's no drag (for any reason) either on the supply side of the rolled material. You could use as many pinch rollers as you'd like with glossy laminated prints.

Finally, you can remove the pinch rollers and wipe them with alcohol to remove wax or dirt buildup that may cause them to lose traction.