• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cyan and Magenta not Printing at all. (Nothing)

JMSports

First of all, thank you for your help. I'm new at this. I am having problems with the cyan and the magenta not printing at all, nothing. I replaced the cyan head it was the worse on, but while I was refilling the head the pump was making a noise and was warm. Could this be my problem, or is it a data issue? Thanks in advance.

JMSports

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Even though you're the IT guy, maybe you ought to consider consulting an actual tech for Roland products.

splizaat

When it comes to heads, I let the pros do it. I'll play with just about anything else inside my printers though.

MikePro

a million questions come to mind here.
mainly, make/model of printer and what/who's direction you were following for printhead replacement.

*air bubble in the ink lines after printhead replacement is common.
*broken manifold during printhead replacement is common.
*vapor lock(air bubble) within the printhead could also be the cause.

if it was electrical, like dripping ink into the ribbon cable slot, usually the printer will throw you an error upon power-up.
however,
to rule-out electrical, search for "data swap" on these forums for an illustration showing how to isolate the issue to above/below the printhead itself. you're basically swapping the cables between a non-working and perfectly-working printhead to see if the issue follows.

JMSports

Even though you're the IT guy, maybe you ought to consider consulting an actual tech for Roland products.

True and I will have a call in now.

I think the head fuse maybe shot. Why I say that, at the end of the cable some of the pins were touching each other. Since that I have nothing on the cyan or magenta. Thanks must for your comment and help.

JMSports

a million questions come to mind here.
mainly, make/model of printer and what/who's direction you were following for printhead replacement.

*air bubble in the ink lines after printhead replacement is common.
*broken manifold during printhead replacement is common.
*vapor lock(air bubble) within the printhead could also be the cause.

if it was electrical, like dripping ink into the ribbon cable slot, usually the printer will throw you an error upon power-up.
however,
to rule-out electrical, search for "data swap" on these forums for an illustration showing how to isolate the issue to above/below the printhead itself. you're basically swapping the cables between a non-working and perfectly-working printhead to see if the issue follows.

Yea, I think it's a data issue.

Everything worked until I changed one of the heads. I used a old head that had been re-cleaned. (?) Then, I noticed at the end of the cable some of the pins were touching each other. Since that I have nothing on the cyan or magenta. That's why I think the fuse on the head broad maybe shot. (?).

Ok I search that out the data swap.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Everything worked until I changed one of the heads. I used a old head that had been re-cleaned. (?) Then, I noticed at the end of the cable some of the pins were touching each other. Since that I have nothing on the cyan or magenta. That's why I think the fuse on the head broad maybe shot. (?).

Now that's what I like in equipment. When they supply this !! :rolleyes:

JMSports

Replaced Fuse Cyan and Magenta still not Firing

I've got the fuse changed and the machine put back together. The way they have their ink system it sets on top of the cover of all of the broad. I tried to make sure the fuse was seated good and check connection with a meter. After hooking all of the ink lines back; needed to test the machine. I primed the lines again on A & B head section. Long story short, A section which is cyan and magenta is still not firing. Recap on the problem from the beginning. On one of the head cables at the end where all of the pins are. There were two or three touching each other and I didn't know it. Those cables over time have been taken in and out so much the pins were coming loose from the band. I also changed that one and put another cable on before I started. That was what shot the fuse but I don't know how much more damage it done.

JMSports

Changing the fuse was easy. Had more trouble taking the ink lines off and back on more than the fuse.

JMSports

I've got the fuse changed and the machine put back together. The way they have their ink system it sets on top of the cover of all of the broad. I tried to make sure the fuse was seated good and check connection with a meter. After hooking all of the ink lines back; needed to test the machine. I primed the lines again on A & B head section. Long story short, A section which is cyan and magenta is still not firing. Recap on the problem from the beginning. On one of the head cables at the end where all of the pins are. There were two or three touching each other and I didn't know it. Those cables over time have been taken in and out so much the pins were coming loose from the band. I also changed that one and put another cable on before I started. That was what shot the fuse but I don't know how much more damage it done.

??

MikePro

no love on the data-swap? I would have done this first before diving-in to swapping fuses/boards, or chance potentially opening another can-o-worms.

attached pic for reference.
basically, the printer sends information from the non-firing head to a head you know is working, to isolate/diagnose issue.

in the illustration, once swapped (swapping should be done with machine powered-down & discharged, of course):
*if the functional black head now fires the "non-working" magenta head's data....then you know its the printhead(or ink supply) and not data-related.
*If the magenta head now fires the black head's data, and black head does not fire at all, then this would confirm a data issue.

attachment.php

JMSports

no love on the data-swap? I would have done this first before diving-in to swapping fuses/boards, or chance potentially opening another can-o-worms.

basically, the printer sends information from the non-firing head to a head you know is working, to isolate/diagnose issue.

in the illustration, once swapped (swapping should be done with machine powered-down & discharged, of course):
*if the functional black head now fires the "non-working" magenta head's data....then you know its the printhead(or ink supply) and not data-related.
*If the magenta head now fires the black head's data, and black head does not fire at all, then this would confirm a data issue.

attachment.php

Sorry, yes I did that first no luck.

JMSports

attachment.php

I'm sorry I didn't get back with you about that been busy. There was no luck with the swap

JMSports

What does "no luck with the swap" mean? Did you confirm it was a data issue, or is it a mechanical problem?

Sorry for the delay. I had to go do something else, and been busy with everything else around the shop. Yes it was a mechanical problem. I was meaning to say I had luck with the swap. What didn't work was working and what was working didn't, so by that it's a mechanical. Long story short a tech will come out when the owner of the company gets ready for him. We have 11 printers running right now. Now we are in our slow period. So????

JMSports

I have learned alot from this forum.

Sorry for the delay. I had to go do something else, and been busy with everything else around the shop. Yes it was a mechanical problem. I was meaning to say I had luck with the swap. What didn't work was working and what was working didn't, so by that it's a mechanical. Long story short a tech will come out when the owner of the company gets ready for him. We have 11 printers running right now. Now we are in our slow period. So????

I have learned a lot from this forum. I know some times it sounds like I don't know much, I don't, but thanks to all of you here. I'm getting some GREAT information. Again, thanks to all of you.