• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cyan Is Misting (bleeding) Into Non Image Areas?

phototec

I have a Roland SP540V and it has been printing very well and then all of the sudden today it started to MIST (spray or bleed), cyan ink into NON-IMAGE areas (white space). See attached photo.

Anyone ever seen this or had it happen?

What would cause this?

I just did a maintenance cleaning and don't see anything on the CYAN head.

When I print a job with NO BLUE, it prints ok, seams to only happen when the head goes across a blue part of the image.

Attachments

• CYAN MISTING IN NON IMAGE AREAS (CLOSEUP) 03-06-3017.jpg
    CYAN MISTING IN NON IMAGE AREAS (CLOSEUP) 03-06-3017.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 433
  • CYAN MISTING IN NON IMAGE AREAS 03-06-3017.jpg
    CYAN MISTING IN NON IMAGE AREAS 03-06-3017.jpg
    932.3 KB · Views: 497

Sign Works

When my SP-300V was doing that it was the printhead going bad. Replaced it with a new one from solventinkjet.com and it's printed flawlessly ever since.

Sign Works

Stayed in touch with the young man (Roland Tech) who originally set up my printer back in 2006. We did the install together so that I could do it myself in the future if needed. Solventinkjet.com supplies detailed installation instructions as well as free phone tech support if needed, the same instructions are in the printer's User Manual. It is not complicated at all, just follow the step by step instructions. By the way, it is so nice to be rid of all the deflected black nozzles. I am extremely careful to not allow ANY head strikes at all to prevent this from happening to the new printhead, use the media clamps at all times while printing.

printhog

It's odd I've only seen this occur on the cyan channel. My machines done it twice and I've seen several posts here all with cyan. I wonder if it may have some head board issue that causes cyan to kill it's head early.?

As stated a new head with proper head rank codes does fix it.

What's gone out is the variable dot part. You can work around for a while switching your rip's pattern to a fixed dot, but you lose the function that prevents peppering in light shades. If you're doing banner and truck decal work that might be fine, but not for fine art or display.

its only a freaking sign!

Malkin

I've had the same issue in the past (VP-540) and it was largely blamed on static, my Roland tech explained that the static actually caused the cyan head to fire.
If I wiped the media down it would stop.

printhog

I've had the same issue in the past (VP-540) and it was largely blamed on static, my Roland tech explained that the static actually caused the cyan head to fire.
If I wiped the media down it would stop.
I've seen minor overspray from static, had one user here last week with that. But not as radical as the photo. Makes me wonder what physical issue is causing only cyan to be sensitive to static. Maybe the head isn't grounded properly. I'm trying to remember if the k head or the c head has the temperature sensor feedback on it. Don't have my notes here.

OP should try that print on another media and see if you can get it to repeat. And try wiping down with 70% isopropyl alcohol to see if it goes away. Either would be a positive indicator of static.

I know on mine the culprit was printing in vardot mode from both Onyx and Wasatch rips. A new head fixed it. I didn't test for static.

its only a freaking sign!

Hey phototec,

The members' contributions above are all on the right track. It's likely static causing the problem. The alternative is the head 1 (black/cyan) is starting to fail. Continue working on eliminating static, but if the issue(s) continue, just call your authorized Roland dealer and they'll take care of you.

Take care,
Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

phototec

Hey phototec,

The members' contributions above are all on the right track. It's likely static causing the problem. The alternative is the head 1 (black/cyan) is starting to fail. Continue working on eliminating static, but if the issue(s) continue, just call your authorized Roland dealer and they'll take care of you.

Take care,
Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

ROLAND,

Is there any possibility the CYAN damper being bad (clogged, leaking) could cause the cyan over spray?

It sure is funny that statistic would ONLY affect the CYAN, all other colors print perfectly.

I have NO Roland dealer, the dealer that sold me the printer 70 miles away is no longer a Roland dealer and it is NOT feasible to have a Roland tech travel 180 miles one way, I would have to rod a bank to pay the tech to tell me it's a damper or something i could repair myself. After the sale from the dealer I never received any SUPPORT!

I wish Roland would stand behind their products and off phone support for those of us who live far away from service techs.