• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cyan Overspray = head failure?

2B

attachment.php

attachment.php

At first we thought it was a flux in the weather but only the Cyan colors are showing the over-spray.
Also this is happening on all medias being used, regardless of the head height or the amount of the ink being applied.
As the photo shows it is only happening with the Cyan color.

After doing a nozzle test fire, there is only 2 nozzles miss-firing, the machine is cleaned on a regular bases.

Our first thought is the dampers & wipers need to be replaced but after talking to the dealer who sold the machine they say it is the head that is failing
If it is the head that is failing, what head is used to replace it? Roland fails to list the head type on their website and a Google search says DX-5, DX-6 & DX-7 are all interchangeable. If i remember correctly it is a DX-5 in the machine, just want to make sure.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20150529_134120.jpg
    20150529_134120.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,572
  • 20150529_134128.jpg
    20150529_134128.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,065

player

Have you cleaned the encoder strip? The sensor?

At $3K+ for a head I would also change the damper first. I had a DX4 head over spraying and changed the head. To my chagrin it
was a clogged damper. I was also experiencing a perfect test print, but I was getting banding from the blue head as the damper
had enough ink flow to do a test, but did not keep up to full print speed.

It could also very well be your head as you say...

2B

attachment.php

after cleaning the encoder strip, there is still over-spray.

What is the best way to access and clean the sensor?

also noticed that the cyan is "dripping" excessive ink when the carriage comes to a stop while traveling, see image

The machine is a VS 640 running CMYKlMlC

Waiting on the dampers to arrive for further testing

I was told it was the head failing by the tech, whom based the diagnosis on the previously posted photos.

I would prefer it be something else that easier/cheap than a head failure.

Attachments

• 20150601_133610.jpg
    20150601_133610.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,103

Asuma01

yeah drippy heads are no good.
Have you checked the ink lines? If there is a leak somewhere it can cause the heads to drip. Check for wet ink on the lines. Or the heads are just bad and need replaced.

2B

Update:

just did a test mode fill pattern print and it is the Light Cyan that is causing the issue.

attachment.php

So my next question is where to get a print head and what other items are best replaced with the head replacement?

Attachments

• 20150601_161934.jpg
    20150601_161934.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,327
  • 20150601_162004.jpg
    20150601_162004.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 522

BALLPARK

I purchased two heads from Solventinkjet.com last week and they worked great. Although one of the heads did not have a proper label for the head rank number and they are looking into it to find the number.

I had a tech replace both heads and the printer is doing great. I have already printed 2 rolls of IJ180 since the replacement and love seeing the new heads on point.

WalkerP

That's good news (minus the cost). I've changed hundreds of heads and forgot to enter the head ID #s dozens of time in haste. Never had the slightest issue leaving the old # in the firmware.

Sign Works

I recently had the same cyan misting / overspray issue on my SP-300V. Tried everything to fix it, finally replaced the printhead with one from solventinkjet.com, printer prints like new again.

Toks

PrintEasy
Hello, did you manage to solve this problem. I have the same issue now. Just hoping it is not the print head.

Regards
Mike