• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

D140 - Cutting Accuracy

Goatshaver

I've had my cutter running for about a month now. I've had some difficulties but worked through most issues.
I'm just wondering about accuracy of cuts and what I can expect. I cutting this piece, which has a very thin border (1mm) and as you can see the cutting is off by about .5mm.

I've done the OPOS calibration and still is the same. There are setting in the cutter control software that I honestly don't know what they do, nor can I find explanations on them. My training was by phone so basically my training was just getting it cutting.

Does setting the Alignment Mode to something other than OPOS X help?
I find the manual a bit vague on details of operation. Like Media Alignment.....do you do this for every sheet? every different job?

Need some help before I drive myself crazy, reprinting and recutting stuff.

Thank you

IMG_20200430_131831.jpg

rjssigns

I have the same unit and the only screwups I've had are ones I've created by not paying attention to the basics.

Print needs to have the lead edge perfectly perpendicular to the edge. It is what I use for reference when loading. If you don't load the material perfectly you will only create problems. Software can only compensate for a small amount of skew.

After I drop the pinch rollers I watch the right hand scale as it feeds material. If it's going out more than an eighth inch you're already in trouble.

Goatshaver

I have the same unit and the only screwups I've had are ones I've created by not paying attention to the basics.

Print needs to have the lead edge perfectly perpendicular to the edge. It is what I use for reference when loading. If you don't load the material perfectly you will only create problems. Software can only compensate for a small amount of skew.

After I drop the pinch rollers I watch the right hand scale as it feeds material. If it's going out more than an eighth inch you're already in trouble.

What settings are you using for you OPOS?

rjssigns

What settings are you using for you OPOS?

Factory settings on the Summa and standard settings in Flexi. Only thing I did in Flexi is adjust cutting pressure for different materials. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Or maybe I'm lazy...

One of the biggest mistakes I see people make is trusting the sheet cut function on the printer. I always hear: "But it cuts it off nice and square". So I ask: "Square to what?" Nobody can answer that.

My SP540V would b 9/16" out of square after two or three runs of four feet.:confused:

Ended up using a large t-square to make the lead edge perfectly perpendicular to the sides. This cured goofy cuts on the Summa.

So far any mistakes I had with the Summa were operator error.

Goatshaver

Factory settings on the Summa and standard settings in Flexi. Only thing I did in Flexi is adjust cutting pressure for different materials. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Or maybe I'm lazy...

One of the biggest mistakes I see people make is trusting the sheet cut function on the printer. I always hear: "But it cuts it off nice and square". So I ask: "Square to what?" Nobody can answer that.

My SP540V would b 9/16" out of square after two or three runs of four feet.:confused:

Ended up using a large t-square to make the lead edge perfectly perpendicular to the sides. This cured goofy cuts on the Summa.

I guess I'll start to have to check the squareness of my sheet edge if I'm concerned for high accuracy.

rjssigns

I guess I'll start to have to check the squareness of my sheet edge if I'm concerned for high accuracy.

Yup, and load it straight. Forgot to mention: When loading I bump the lead edge into the front of the platen channel, hold it there and drop the pinch wheels.

Paying attention to details allowed prints over 10 feet long from my SP540V to be cut successfully. I still follow the procedure with my Mutoh even though it cuts sheets square.(provided I loaded it correctly)

geNe36

Just Sharing

I'm not sure if the Sheet Cut function you've mentioned is it OPOS SHEET MODE. I'll share a video on this function. In order to align, a piece of vinyl is being taped on the side.

Last edited:

Goatshaver

I've been cutting these all morning and 4 out of 5 sheets are consistently off. I've calibrated OPOS many times and it's still the same. Is this a media length calibration issue or something else? These sheets are only 4.5' x 3' so it's not the length of the sheet. Could be sheet be slipping in the rollers? I think if that happened I'd have cuts that vary all over the sheet. This is pretty consistent in these off cuts.

See Thumbnail image.

IMG_20200716_133631.jpg

gabagoo

Sometimes my Opos will think it sees the reg mark and then moves to the next and I know for a fact that it picked up silvering. Thats when the damn thing sees anything at all!!! LOL

question for those using this plotter with Flexi subscription. Am I stuck with just the square reg marks or is there an option to change to something else?