• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

dad to the rescue......maybe not

gabagoo

I have no idea where to post this. It is somewhat sign related but it is more about my sons college course he is taking.

He is taking a digital media arts program at a community college and gets some assignment wherby each student has to buy a skateboard body (no wheels) and design a graphic for the underside and from what I can guess apply it, although they have had no formal training in doing such work. In any case the teacher sets it up wherby he has a digital printing company downtown that will print each piece for each student for $30.00 each ( I wonder what his kickback was?)
I told my son that I can print it for him and not to bother going downtown to do it, but he was worried that he may get a failing grade if he did that.
He finally texts me 2 days before it is due and asks if I can do it for him. I told him he is just like all my customers!!!! rush rush rush.

He sends me the file and I print 4 copies for him just in case he has trouble applying it. He then calls me the next day and asks me if I can print 2 more for his friends as they dont want to go all the way downtown to get them. I told him $20.00 each...heck I may as well make something on this..right?

My son had ordered one from this downtown place before getting me to do it for him unknown to me and I looked at it and it was printed quite nice on a matte material that I have never seen before.
Tonight I am informed that he wants my help to put it down on my drive home, so naturally being in the sign business I have nothing at home for applying vinyl short of an old beat up squeegee.

He tells me he wants to use the one he paid for from downtown so I said OK and I had to cut it as these guys just printed it as a rectangle. He had a keyline around it for cutting and I used my sons exacto knife and cut it out. When I went to peel away the excess I must have miss hit a cut and the freakin thing ripped about an inch into the graphic. No worries I say, when I put it down I can put it back together.

Now I toiled with trying to get the backing paper off. I could not get it to release and then finally I caught an edge and this clear plastic backing peeled off. We fiddled with this thing working blindly trying to line it up on the wavy skateboard and finally I get it lined up ( not sure how these other students could have possibly done this) At this point as I squeegee the graphic down it becomes apparent that this thing is paper!!! It can't follow compound curves and that tiny rip wont heal up like vinyl would as it is fixed and cant be stretched at all.

Now I lose it, and rip the POS off and tell him to get me one of my decals and I go through it all again and I apply it near perfect within minutes.

I would love to see the other students that bought this paper prints final work. That stuff is not designed to be curved at all.

ProWraps

your a great dad. you remind me of my own. its a SHAME that your son didnt speak up to the professor a bit sooner. it sounds like you, like me, would have probably printed them for free for the kids (education is something i ALWAYS help out with no matter who asks me).

i figure using an arlon 4500 gtx with arlon 3220 overlam, they would cost about $1 each, and could even be contour cut for the kids...

and they would last longer since typically skateboards are just silkscreened with no protection right to the wood.

I'm not knocking school but projects like that used to tick me off? I understand the relevance of having to design something that fits on something else. I can even see the importance in learning how to communicate with your printer but really $30 for a paper sticker and another $10 to $20 (at least) for a skateboard body? What's the lesson in that?

I had a few teachers that must have had some sort of kickback arrangement with art supply and book stores when I was in college.

Congratulations on successfully finishing the project.

SignosaurusRex

Dad to the rescue? All very cool that you are there for him.....but.....who was supposed to install the print? I know that the print from the other shop was overpriced garbage, but was what you supplied....and installed for him....what the instructor is expecting? Where is the learning in all of that? I hope the others along with your son that got prints from you don't suffer on the grade because of the material not being what is expected by the instructor. Your son can probably explain that it was crap and needed something real but you would have done your son and the others a favor by having a mini installation class and instructing them on how to do it correctly themselves, which would most likely be favored by the instructor and remembered as well as appreciated by them. As parents, we often rescue rather than be the teachers we ought to be. Don't get me wrong, I'm not slamming you at all. I did the same thing many times and not until I decided to take more time and teach my son rather than rescue him did he as well as myself realize how talented he was at what he put his mind to. Now, he teaches me stuff I never thought of.

I'm sure your son is proud of you helping him. That in itself is pretty cool right there.

BobM

I think you were teaching your son by the time the project got done and I hope he taught his teacher something as well. Good job DAD.

signage

Now when your son tell the teacher how he got his to follow the contours when the rest couldn't, the light bulb will go off in the teacher head and you now created yourself competition! Good job on being a dad to the rescue!

Bradster941

Good

J
O
B

attachment.php

MikePro

asking again for help, only a couple of days before the project is finally due... sounds like me n' my dad. Except, I was the one making the stickers and wrapping a trailer for his "Boot Camp" physical training program.

Gotta love printing on controltac! My sister has been pimping me out to all her friends to do laptop skins, someday I'll start charging for them.

gabagoo

Dad to the rescue? All very cool that you are there for him.....but.....who was supposed to install the print? I know that the print from the other shop was overpriced garbage, but was what you supplied....and installed for him....what the instructor is expecting? Where is the learning in all of that? I hope the others along with your son that got prints from you don't suffer on the grade because of the material not being what is expected by the instructor. Your son can probably explain that it was crap and needed something real but you would have done your son and the others a favor by having a mini installation class and instructing them on how to do it correctly themselves, which would most likely be favored by the instructor and remembered as well as appreciated by them. As parents, we often rescue rather than be the teachers we ought to be. Don't get me wrong, I'm not slamming you at all. I did the same thing many times and not until I decided to take more time and teach my son rather than rescue him did he as well as myself realize how talented he was at what he put his mind to. Now, he teaches me stuff I never thought of.

I'm sure your son is proud of you helping him. That in itself is pretty cool right there.

trust me, I told him to find out first if he was allowed to use me and secondly, dont think for a minute that I did not make hime help me line it up to set it down correctly. I did however take resposibility for squeegeing it as to tell you the truth, I had worked a 14 hour day and did not want to have to do it a 3rd time.

Marlene

since it is a digital media class, it seem like your son should get a higher mark as part of knowing about digital media is picking the right product for the job. if his teacher gives him any grief, he should bring that up as it is high up on the list of important things to know when it comes to digital media. and by the way, nice job dad being there to give you child a hand when he needed it.