• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Daige 38" solo

graphix45

Any thoughs on the Daige solo laminators. I'm looking to buy a used printer/cutter from a local distributor & they recommended the 38" Daige solo.
Thanks for any advise!

CS-SignSupply-TT

graphix45, I believe you will find very few GOOD comments about the Daige on this forum. What is the primary USE for the printer/cutter?

graphix45

I'm looking at a 30" Roland VersaCamm. We outsourse all of our print work now and have been for 4 years now. After looking back 90% of what we do could be done on a 30" machine & we don't have a very big shop. So space is a concern. I know several people that use Rolands and I feel good about it, but have never really talked about the laminator. I know the wider the laminator the more important it is to not be cheap.

CS-SignSupply-TT

There is a REASON(s) the Daige is inexpensive (aka cheap). Please research this forum BEFORE taking the DAIGE plunge. You will be SO HAPPY you looked THREE times before leaping. There is a reason a carpenter is taught to "...measure twice, cut once..."

jmb474

We have a Daige and its very difficult to work with. We cant wait till we are able to upgrade.

Mike F

Go with a Royal Sovereign or a Seal and save yourself headaches in the short term and money in the long term.

I have a Daige Quickmount 4 and it works great. I never have any problems with it. It's only 38" but I can see where it would be a pain if I had to have a larger one. But I don't regret buying at all, it's been a great tool for the shop.

njsigns

I'm with Finishline - I've had a Daige Quikmount 4 for about 5 years now - also the 38". I haven't had a problem with it at all. I think once you understand how it works you're golden. Although if I was laminating 54" prints on a larger Daige, I might feel differently... But since you're talking about running the same setup I have, I'd say it's a worthy investment.

Gene

graphix45

Thanks for all the advise! I'm not sure what I'll do, but after giving it some thought I would like to get something large enough to at least print 3' banners. Also been noticing the availability of vinyl in smaller sizes.:banghead:
Thanks again.

TresL

I have a 38" solo as well, with very few issues with prints off my 30" Roland.

As for long runs. I've ran a complete roll(150') of material through at one time. It was off about 1.5" inces at the end.

petesign

I had a 55" solo... It cost me more money in ruined prints than my shiny new Royal Sovereign laminator cost. Now that I have the RS, I do use the daige for mounting prints, and it does a pretty good job of that. The problem with the daige is it has two pressure settings, one for each side... and if your pressure is even slightly off, it will wrinkle like your grandpa's butt.

I'd go one step further, i'd tell your supplier thanks but no thanks and find someone else to buy from... they know better than to peddle that onto you, and will have done you a HUGE disservice selling it to you without warning you about its steep learning curve, or telling you about its shortcomings.