• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Daige Roller Sleeve

flurrrs

My Daige Roller Sleeve busted this morning. I have ordered a new one but they were trying to get me to order the entire roller with sleeve attached. They said that it is difficult to put the sleeve on so most people order the roller and sleeve. I'm sure this is what they say in order to get more money, but I was wondering if anyone on here has had this happen and might have some tips.

RJ California

I doubt that Daige told you that to get more money. I have found them to be very fair on part prices (belts for $2, motors for $95, etc). We have two Daige 3's that we use every day (one for cast and one for cal). We replaced the part that you are referring to on one of them last year. You might save a few bucks by trying to slip it on yourself but I wouldn't do it.

CL Graphics

we changed the one on mine a year or so ago. it took two guys, alot of soapy water, an air compressor, some duct tape, and a couple beers. its a bear to get it started on the shaft but once it starts it goes right on.

zmatalucci

I would HIGHLY RECCOMEND ordering the sleeve and roller already assembled.
I am speaking from a terrible experience.

BargainSigns

We put it on ourselves and it was frustrating because you cannot just "get it on" it has to be perfectly straight. Once you get it in place it has to dry from the soapy water. We will probably just let them do it next time if nothing more than we can use it immediately.

Hint: Be very carefull when opening the box

P.S. Don't you curse the salesperson that sold you that heap everytime you use it? We do.

CL Graphics

we dont cuss him so much anymore. We finally figured out how to use it. I have ran 54" prints up to 30' long through it. Even longer 30" prints. As long as you get it started straight and have the tension right your usually good to go. The biggest draw back is you almost have to have two people to run it. One on the feed side and one on the other side to put a little tension on the laminate and make sure the media isn't piling up or sticking to the platen. At some point in time we will probably invest in a nicer machine and only use the daige for 30" media. But for now it gets us by.

BargainSigns

We have made several modifications to ours and it is now somewhat tolerable. Yes it totally requires two people but it is what we have and it will laminate what we need to laminate.

Bon Chance!

Graphics2u

Definately buy the whole roller. It's not that hard to put on the sleeve but getting the seam in it to be straight and it has to be perfectly straight is tough.

we dont cuss him so much anymore. We finally figured out how to use it. I have ran 54" prints up to 30' long through it. Even longer 30" prints. As long as you get it started straight and have the tension right your usually good to go. The biggest draw back is you almost have to have two people to run it. One on the feed side and one on the other side to put a little tension on the laminate and make sure the media isn't piling up or sticking to the platen. At some point in time we will probably invest in a nicer machine and only use the daige for 30" media. But for now it gets us by.

If you're running wider laminate than print material with out kraft paper then you need 2 people no matter what laminator you use. I always used the same size lam whenever possible and would run the machine by myself almost all the time

flurrrs

It costs like another $150 to get it with the roller. So I think I'll save the dough and tought it out. I usually run mine alone but I use sled boards on everything to make it easier. Sometimes when I run things over 10' I get someone to help but usually I just make do.

This is really the first problem we've had with it. The sleeve looks like it just exploded on one end. I'm thinking the pressure must have been too high.

lrtgraphics

It took us less than 10 minutes to remove the existing rubber roller and install the new one and we didn't even have time to drink our beers.

I'd recommend using 3 people to get the job done. We taped one end up, applied some wet app to the rod and inside the new roller. Got is started and one person held the rod, one person pulled on the new rubber and one person used an air compressor on the opposite end to blow it up like a balloon. It slid right on.

Then we drank the beers. Thanks for the recommendation.

ChicagoGraphics

I bought a Daige when they first came out, should have known it would have been junk from the get go, sure enough it was I didn't send it back to the supplier I bought it from, I sent it right back to daige and told them what I thought of there product. Got 100% plus shipping returned.

I hear they work good for a boat anchor......