• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Damn it's hot in here...

GP

Finally getting taste of warmer weather down here - and the printer room jumped to over 80 degrees. Since it promises to be another long, hot summer, we need to plan on bringing in some air conditioning to cool this 12 x 12 room down.

We have one window that doesn't open. We do have a back wall that goes into the shop. Thinking the cheapest and most efficient would be to frame a whole in the wall and install a window unit. Pretty sure the property owner will not agree.

Anyone have experience with the stand alone units. I think the swamp cooler designs may add too much humidity, causing further problems.

Ideas?

GP

Bill43mx

The "portable" a/c units that duct out a window are very inefficient. You're idea is by far the cheapest/best option but if you can't do that check into a split system. They aren't too expensive and only require a small hole in the building to run the tubing & control wiring through.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I just saw a portable air conditioner and it put out some nice cold air. I think it was at the home builders show. Really neat and rather efficient. Call your local HBA and see if they have a membership book and look through the ads.

ProColorGraphics

I have mine in about 850 sq. feet. When it got warmer out the other week, it jumped to about 82 back by the printer. Definitely heats it up pretty quick!

HulkSmash

I have this massive beast. bought it last summer when it was over 100 every day... works for about 4,000 sqft. You might not need one this big.

today its about 85.... it should be snowing this time of year... dumb...

i miss winter already

GP

That may be overkill, but there are some nice portable units on there -

And I guess I can just vent up through the drop out ceiling, back into warehouse?

GP

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Splits are better than window units but either will do.
Splits don't require too many holes in the wall and they are not large.
Around here we have to cage window units so punks don't push them in and take your stuff.
Always over 80 here with humidity way way up so we love our AC.

wayne k
guam usa

Happyprinter

Yesterday we had snow. Today almost 74. Had to turn on the a/c inside the building. Tomorrow snow again. Not sure if it's spring, summer, winter or fall.

ThinkRight

Finally getting taste of warmer weather down here - and the printer room jumped to over 80 degrees. Since it promises to be another long, hot summer, we need to plan on bringing in some air conditioning to cool this 12 x 12 room down.

We have one window that doesn't open. We do have a back wall that goes into the shop. Thinking the cheapest and most efficient would be to frame a whole in the wall and install a window unit. Pretty sure the property owner will not agree.

Anyone have experience with the stand alone units. I think the swamp cooler designs may add too much humidity, causing further problems.

Ideas?

GP

I suggest http://www.mitsubishipro.com/
Very affordable and easy install.
For small spaces there are perfect.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I feel your pain.... I'm in Columbia and as you well know down here it takes very very little equipment going to overload a rooms ac. Fortunatley the owner of my building was more understanding on cutting a hole in the back wall. I did assure her it would be done properly though and told here I would either leave the unit or provide 2 steel plates to bolt to the hole if we leave (her choice). I made a 1/8" welded steel frame sleeve for the wall and stuck a 25,000 BTU unit in. No HP but with 2 other printers, 2 servers, about 6 regular computers, 2 laminators, t-shirt press, and assorted other equipment the regular AC just could not keep up. At best the regular AC could get it about 8 degrees cooler inside than outside and when it's 100 and humid out that just does not cut it. With both units going I can get it to 75 no problem no matter the outside temp. If you cannot cut a hole for a window unit then one of the smalish split units as mentioned will work just as well and only will need a 1-2" hole in the wall for the refridgerant lines to go to the outside part.