• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

damn plotter!

visual800

this morning I go to cut something and it messes up the letters cutting it, looks like I cut it out with steak knife. I turn it off, unplug it and check all settings in production manager.

Cut it back on and send to plot, the carriage slams into the left side of the plotter and them slams the blade down and drags across the vinyl tearing it up. I smell smoke at this point.

I shut if off unplug it and take the side cover off. everything is clean and no visible issues. check the carriage track all is fine. go to plug it back in and try it again all i get is a loud beeping and a "Y" error. this damn thing seems to have passed away. its only about 3 years old if that and I dont even use it much.

I have emailed Signwarehouse with a stern message about cutting thru the BS and lets discuss a trade in. Ive dealt with them before and sometimes its like dealing with Hodgy at tech support

Did the motherboard die? I mean wth happens at night when things go boom?

visual800

came down to mainboard died. this plotter is 3 years old. The board cost $750 not including me shipping back t them to replace board. I asked if he could send me mainboard Ill do it myself and take labor off that price. he said No! The plotter has to be "calibrated" by a service tech

I then found out "calibrated" means entering some parameters in the setup that are listed on a decal inside the cover of the plotter (should have known)
I have already called summa and ordered a new plotter. I dont have time for all this. Might just throw it on ebay and get whatever I can for it

I despise cheap crap

Kottwitz-Graphics

That sucks... what kind of plotter was it?... now that I reread your post, I see it was from sign warehouse. ..

I have a summa d60, and never had a seconds problem. Not to mention that tech support is top notch. You won't regret it.

Last edited:

Chasez

Summa's are great! I've got a S160T that I've been running for the past 8 years, other than replacing some wearable parts we've never had an issue with it, and it has probably run 30k linear ft through it. Still running without issues. Without a doubt I would go summa.

Chaz