• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Damn sun

Mark H

As I get more requests for exterior signs (MaxMetal, PVC, aluminum etc) I'm finding that printing it on my UV flatbed is what I would prefer to do but unless it is laminated it is going to fade in 18 months. I'm told that even laminated I'll only get 3-5 years. My question is, where do I get a good UV laminate and can it be hand applied without bubbles.

Thanks,
Mark

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Most laminates will only give ya an additional.... maybe a year to 18 months, if you're lucky. Unless they're very small, I would only use a laminator, not even a BS is good for this from a flatbed. The ink will lift off quite easily, according to what substrate you using.

Check your lamps and make sure they have a good life to them, otherwise, only tell people they are short-term exterior durable.

Brandon708

the best cast laminates are a real pain in the butt to laminate by hand beceause how thin it is. The cheaper laminate crap is easier to apply because its thicker. If your laminating UV prints you are going to run into the issue of the raised ink catching bubbles and enhancing the copy. I would use a matte laminate if laminating UV prints. I also would suggest 3M cast laminates.

SignStudent

I know next to nothing about UV printing but have you tried looking to see if there's a liquid laminate you can brush or spray on?

Sindex Printing

For the harsh environment signs I took them to an auto body shop and had them clearcoat them and the are still look good today and they have been up for about 6 years

visual800

we only use direct print to substrate for real estate signs. nothing in a more professional long term sign. All of my signs are bascoat/clearcoat OR sprayed with latex and vinyl lettering on top of that

DerbyCitySignGuy

Marabu makes liquid laminates that can be put over UV prints. The VUTEk printers using "their" ink (Nazdar makes it) actually hold up really well. We've found that with average exposure, you can reasonably expect about 3-5 years before the sign starts to fade significantly. Even coating it, I wouldn't tell a customer more than five years.

If the sign is getting a lot of sun exposure, you're going to get 18 months if you're lucky. UV radiation is killer (literally and figuratively).

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Dam Son.jpg

Some sort of liquid clear as mentioned..... Sprayed or rolled on.

Mark H

For the harsh environment signs I took them to an auto body shop and had them clearcoat them and the are still look good today and they have been up for about 6 years
I like this option. I have a job mounting 6 panels printed on MaxMetal to a\the wall of a building facing east so it will get a lot of sun, what do you think?

Mark H

Marabu makes liquid laminates that can be put over UV prints. The VUTEk printers using "their" ink (Nazdar makes it) actually hold up really well. We've found that with average exposure, you can reasonably expect about 3-5 years before the sign starts to fade significantly. Even coating it, I wouldn't tell a customer more than five years.

If the sign is getting a lot of sun exposure, you're going to get 18 months if you're lucky. UV radiation is killer (literally and figuratively).
When we are talking fade, how much? 50% on a navy blue & red

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Facing East is no problem, especially you being in Ohio. This time of the year, the sun is practically non-existent in the morning hours. By the time it's a little high in the sky, it's already past your face of the building. In the summer, it's only a problem for maybe 2 or 3 hours, then, it will be directly above you and again, doing relatively no harm to your sign facing East. The really only problem is/are signs basically facing south and somewhat southwest.

DerbyCitySignGuy

When we are talking fade, how much? 50% on a navy blue & red

After about four years being exposed less than half of the day, a yellow and blue sign faded about 30-40%. It was still legible and didn't look bad, but the customer wanted to replace it. It probably could have stayed up another year or two. That was just UV direct print with Nazdar inks, no laminate. That was way longer than I initially told the customer (it was supposed to be temporary).

The Marabu stuff only seems to extend the life of prints about a year or so. I would imagine a clear coat from an auto body shop is going to be the "best" option for longevity if your customer is willing to pay for it.

Mark H

Facing East is no problem, especially you being in Ohio. This time of the year, the sun is practically non-existent in the morning hours. By the time it's a little high in the sky, it's already past your face of the building. In the summer, it's only a problem for maybe 2 or 3 hours, then, it will be directly above you and again, doing relatively no harm to your sign facing East. The really only problem is/are signs basically facing south and somewhat southwest.

Mark H

I have a job for a lot of white painted aluminum signs. Several 2'x2' signs that go over truck docks with no cover of any kind, they face west. a couple that go over doors with small awnings facing west 1 about 30" up on a building wall that faces south. Several others that are attached to a chain link fence facing multiple directions All text is black. you are from PA so can relate to Cleveland sun, how much can I expect them to fade? I would really prefer to print them rather than cut & apply vinyl. Thanks.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A great deal, depends on your inks and lamp life. If everything is good to go, I would give them about 3 years.

I have a 'V' shape sign we did about a year ago on Cor-X One side faces northeast and the other side northwest. The side on northeast looks absolutely fine. All the colors are completely in tact, while the other side has completely faded. The lamps had about 100 hours left on them, but printing Cor-X takes alot, with coronas and whatnot. Replaced the lamps, anyway. The inks will bite into ACM, better than Cor-X, but it's best to be safe and check your lamp life. We buy extra high output lamps, which gives us better tooth on everything, but the lamp life is shorter, however, it's worth peace of mind.

visual800

I have a job for a lot of white painted aluminum signs. Several 2'x2' signs that go over truck docks with no cover of any kind, they face west. a couple that go over doors with small awnings facing west 1 about 30" up on a building wall that faces south. Several others that are attached to a chain link fence facing multiple directions All text is black. you are from PA so can relate to Cleveland sun, how much can I expect them to fade? I would really prefer to print them rather than cut & apply vinyl. Thanks.

You are going to have to learn that not everything can be printed for longevity, vinyl on ACM would last just fine on this BUT printed, facing west? No i would not do it. Do the vinyl or dont do it at all. just because some own a printer doesnt mean everything can be printed

TimToad

Cleveland is not considered a high UV intensity latitude.

Regardless of where you are located, it's critical to choose the best process and substrates for the client's needs, budget and durability expectation.

One way to enhance longevity on your direct print work is to use colors fortified with increased amounts of all the ink colors. Using a 0/0/0/100 black will result in a weak color that quickly succumbs to UV absorbtion. Unless a specific color is needed, we add a couple percent of each ink color to all our direct print outputs with the result being better opacity, deeper, richer colors. Our typical direct print red is 10/100/100/5

As far as clear coats, Frog Juice is a great product and here in an extreme UV region, we've had great results with it. Like others have stated, direct print isn't the first or best choice for signs deemed "permanent". For those, using a combination of cast die cut vinyl on factory finish substrates, dimensional letters and/or paint processes using high grade industrial finishes and masks is best.