• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

dampers only half full?

AUTO-FX

could somebody please look at the picture and tell me - are my dampers supposed to be full, or filled to the center of the cross marks?
(falcon outdoor jr.)
my output is a little light and grainey and i'm trying to evaluate. Nozzle test isnt horrendous, but seems to show nothing missing. i put a wedge under the carts, and i also ran a fill cycle and a multitude of cleaning cycles.any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• dampers.jpg
    dampers.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 121
  • nozzle test.jpg
    nozzle test.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 128

AUTO-FX

hmm. that's what i was afraid of. i'm thinking "ink starvation" and when i saw the dampers only half full i said bingo. but , as i watch it print, they remain consistently at half. man, i dont get it. prints perfectly yet look at the coverage? like 720 is 360 !I'll tell ya, I struggle with this printer on EVERY job to get desirable results, with a fair amount of success, but this is getting old.

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 110
Looks like either heat setting problem or a profile problem to me.
What is your heater set at and what media are you printing on?
I have a fair amount of fighting with mine also, dont get discouraged.
My next printer is going to be a Summa. No liquid ink issues at all with them.

AUTO-FX

it does look like a profile issue in the picture but that isnt the best picture either. i'll put up another. i tried reprinting some decals with known good profiles and output and compared them with samples i saved. they arent nearly as nice. not even acceptable.

Attachments

• tests 006.jpg
    tests 006.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 114

MikePro

how old are the dampers? ink starvation could also occur if your damper screens are clogged. they're inexpensive enough to simply swap out as a test, if you've got no other ideas.

bad batch of ink, rare but never out of the equation either... as its happened to me before with 3rd party inks. I can only assume this was my issue when it started happening shortly after changing ink cartridges. I had heard on these forums that it was a possibility so I decided to run a flush and put in new, OEM, cartridges. Everything turned out great! Except I still don't know for sure whether it was the flush or the new ink that cured it... but regardless of the answer, it never hurts to start from scratch sometimes :)

tomence

It's a Falcon Jr man that's what the problem is. I was never able to fix mine i did everything that needed to be done and still haven't printed anything that is acceptable by me. I used to have a converted Roland FJ which i sold now this printer was printing way better, you couldn't tell if the print came from a Roland XC540 or converted printer.

Wraps ink

Auto, Im having the same problems and replaced alot of parts in my machine I had some techs tell me the head starvation was from the new cartridges from mutoh...I have tried just about everything...I know its very frustrating...I have two machines and its doing it on both...nozzle checks look ok but the print quality sucks or drops nozzles

AUTO-FX

Signage, the nozzle check ( shown above) is okay - just "weak". I have a nozzle check print from when i purchased the printer, so I do have something to compare it to. I bought this pre-owned machine last feb. so i dont know how long since anything has been replaced. I will replace the dampers and see if that helps.
Regarding the ink carts, i put small self adhesive felt pads at the cartridge bay openings to make for a snug fit. Has there also been a change to the ink itself or is it just the cartridge housing that is a problem? I am leary of non-OEM ink, but....if I need to switch I will. Best brand suggestions? Thanks guys!

MikePro

stick with OEM, you won't get a "better" result from 3rd party...
i was meaning the other way around, that switching back to OEM just may clear things up.