• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dampers

Vinylman

I just finished learning a very IMPORTANT LESSON!
Dampers need to be changed on a regular basis. The Mimaki JV 33 that I'm currently using, has been in my shop and running for over 3 years.

Several weeks ago I began to experience various problems with the print head dropping out printing wrong colors, and generally just acting out.

Well 2 weeks ago today the print had decided to go south on me. So being the frugal shopper that I am, I took the used print head out of a Epson stylus R1800, and after thorough cleaning, washes and flushes swapped it into my Mamaki JV 33.:clapping: Hooray it works! Well kind of. After about a week of reasonable results, things started going sideways once again.

I had 2 major projects scheduled to be printed yesterday and lo and behold the yellow channels on the print head started to act up. What was going on here? I KNOW I hooked everything up correctly. Didn't I?

Could it be the used print head that I just put in? Not. Or at least I hope not. Take the head out, double check all the connectors, reinstall the head and still the yellow channels aren't firing correctly. OH brother! I hope I'm not going to have to replace this head with the brand-new OEM Epson print head that I've been saving for a special occasion.

Fast forward to a brilliant idea! Why not swap out the dampers that have been on this old print head for over 3 years.:iamwithstupid

New dampers, several pull downs through the docking station with a large syringe, and we're printing perfect color.

Moral of the story Bob:frustrated: maintenance works. Change the darned dampers, REGULARLY!:banghead:

genericname

3 years is a pretty good life for a damper, I'd say. Usually ours get swapped out every six months or so for various reasons, though I'm sure you'll hear from plenty here that deem even six months waaaaay too long.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I change ours at least annually..... preventative maintenance pays for itself in less aggravation.

Masseria

dampers are $5 dolars each... i've never changed them yet... got the jv33 for about 2 years or 1 1/2 ... changed only one that was bad. but of course manintance is always good. but the money that you could earn by working 24 hrs all the week long is better...

but somehow i managed to resolve problems when they appear.

petesign

So, I just called grimco to order dampers, and they quoted me $46 each. I asked, are you sure that's not for all 8? They said no. I laughed. So, anyone had any luck buying the $5 versions online, or do any of the MM's here have them?

Vinylman

So, I just called grimco to order dampers, and they quoted me $46 each. I asked, are you sure that's not for all 8? They said no. I laughed. So, anyone had any luck buying the $5 versions online, or do any of the MM's here have them?

Try DigiPrint Supplies.
They have almost everything you will need to work on your Mimaki.
They are in Belgium. but they have QUICK shipping at reasonable rates and I highly recommend them.
I buy almost all my spare parts from them.
If you plan your ordering, and group your replacement parts supplies correctly you can get some great deals.

Masseria

I've bought this.... U$S 5.7 each.. + free shipping... They work good..

Just give a try if you like... i bought 10... came all in perfect conditions, 1 week shipping to Argentina, South America....
If you live in USA, i think it'll faster....

sfr table hockey

Bob, where the heads dropping out to nothing or were you getting fade lines through the print like ink starvation and then come back on thier own and fade off later in the print?

Just having issues today with this.

Vinylman

Bob, where the heads dropping out to nothing or were you getting fade lines through the print like ink starvation and then come back on thier own and fade off later in the print?

Just having issues today with this.
No the test print showed varying degrees of dropout. I was having a difficult time getting colors to print correctly.
After changing out my print head, it started to lose the yellow. Changer the dampers, and everything is working fine.

sfr table hockey

Thanks Bob,

I am now thinking my issue is the media. Got a new roll of URTH Pure G Archival solvent canvas, not cheap, from Amplis and I think there is an issue with the roll. Constant fade in and out lines as if the heads were starving and I can't even get test charts for the I1 to print to make a profile.

Put in a new damper for black and tried the same print on banner material and perfect. I thought you were the smartest man on earth..... but... put the canvas back in and bang. Back to the crap. Good news is I don't think it's my printer. Now to see how they handle this.

Will make a quick post to see if anyone else is using it.