Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dampers

Discussion in 'Mimaki' started by mustafade, May 23, 2011.

1. mustafade

mustafade Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Has any of you tried cleaning the dampers and re use it? I do not know why it can't be done or it would harm anything that is why I am asking.
    Please give me your input.

Tags:
  2. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    FAR AS i RECALL THEY ARE NOT EXPENSIVE

3. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    if you REALLY wanted to, i couldn't imagine it would be bad to reverse-flush the dampers, slowly, with a syringe and cleaning solution.

at the price to simply buy new ones... i doubt it would be worth your time/headache. Also, with new dampers you get new O-Rings... which are crucial to maintaining a proper seal for your ink-flow.

4. artbot

artbot Very Active Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    i've stuck them in a crappy harbour freight ultrasonic and they came out practically bleach white. if you are buying eight dampers for $64 ($8 each is about as cheap as they come), a $30 ultrasonic cleaner is still cheaper, and a good piece of hardware to have around. you can dunk your capping station, sink the print plate of your print head, etc also.

5. WrapperX

WrapperX Active Member

Dec 18, 2009
    The biggest problem I have seen with trying to re-use or recycle a damper is the the rubber seal on the bottom that attaches to the manifolds are kind finicky - And for the cost - shop around. I've seen them very expensive and very cheap - but no differance in the product. I think when I was working on a JV3 we paid less then $15 for one damper and that was for the tall boys - not the minis.

6. mustafade

mustafade Member

Aug 13, 2010
    When we was replacing the head last week I had no choice but the buy MImaki dampers which $46.00 per piece which really hurt.
    Every person I called did not have 8 on hand. Only people did have 8 was Mimaki.
    This is why I asked if they can be refurbed.

7. mustafade

mustafade Member

Aug 13, 2010
    I already have one to clean my guns. What kind a mix do you use to clean the dampers or other ink jet goodies?

8. Nuagedesigns

Nuagedesigns Member

May 7, 2007
    Seymour, CT
    Ebay

9. mustafade

mustafade Member

Aug 13, 2010
    eBay people were in China and the shipping time was as long as 25 days.

10. WrapperX

WrapperX Active Member

Dec 18, 2009
    $46 - OUCH! That's killer! I can see why you might want to try and refurb.

11. Artgunner

Artgunner Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Concord
    I just cleaned out an old one and are using it as a backup. Used cleaning solution. Same as what the printer uses and sryinge. Thought the damper might be my problem but I think it's elsewhere. That valve!!!

Fieldcenter, here on this forum, has JV33 dampers for 20.00 each. It took 3 days for me to get them from across the country.