• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dangerous sign in windy Calgary

Tim Aucoin

Lowest bidder ... Thats pretty scary to watch it dangle like that. You sure don't want it to fall to the ground and hit someone.

No kidding. That's twice this year they've closed down streets in downtown Calgary because of something blowing loose on a skyscraper sign! Me thinks heads are gonna roll! :rolleyes:

Slamdunkpro

Wind in Calgary has been causing havoc the last couple months. Here's a news story showing a sign on a sky scraper losing it's flashing 42 stories above busy streets. Incredible! Who installs these things??!! :covereyes:

http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/pages/story.aspx?id=6442553953

More like who specs them?

Client: How much for the roof sign?
Hero: $10,000
Client: Whaaa? No, why so much?
Hero: It's designed to handle 100mph sustained winds & gusts up to 140mph over a 48 hour period, it meets or exceeds all codes
Client: What's the minimum spec?
Hero: Well, it's 60mph sustained for 12 hours and gusts to 100mph, but I don't think you want to skimp considering where it's going
Client: We don't get high winds all that often - how much for the minimum standard?
Hero: $6,500
Client: We'll take it.

vinylbarry

The sign on the side of the building was for sure lowest bidder or a company that was just getting the job done at the lowest cost. Now to the billboard
that's why we bury our billboards 13 feet in the ground and pour 4000psi concrete around them not bolt them to threaded rods coming out of small amount of concrete. :rock-n-roll:

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
some good high winds and your boom truck will be busy for a while...

I used to work with a guy who, whenever it was very windy, would walk around softly saying to himself, "ka-ching, ka-ching..."