• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dark Window Vehicle Graphics

Jasminedg

I installed some window graphics on a conversion van in May of 08 with extremely dark almost black windows. The prints cover most of the window, but not all. In the fall the edges were curling on one side of the van so I applied an edge sealer to try to keep it from peeling up. He came in this week and wants to redo them because they are barely hanging on. I pulled off one of the graphics that was still halfway decent. The part that was curling up had released from the adhesive. The vinyl that was attached to the adhesive was attached well to the window. After talking with the manufacturer of the vinyl it sounds like it was a failure of the vinyl due to the extreme heat caused by covering dark windows in a vehicle that stays outside in the sun all year round. My customer wants to redo the graphics with a warranty that if it happens again I will replace them. My manufacturer recommended a permanent adhesive vinyl although it will just delay the inevitable. As far as I know this is not an issue with any of my other prints.
So my questions for all of you are:
1) Is this a common problem? If so how do you prevent this from repeating?
2) What about window perf? I usually cover the entire window along with laminate. Wouldn't the laminate trap the heat as well and cause similar issues?
3) What kind of warranty do you usually give with vehicle graphics? And really what kind of warranty can you give when you know it will most likely happen again?
4) Do you have any suggestions on material for the second try? I typically use oracal 3651 but I used arlon 4560gtx on this job. The print still looks great though.

mark in tx

Re-design if needed to make the print cover the entire window,

Use primer 94 around the window edges to help hold the print.

The prints should be laminated, either perf or regular vinyl.

Before you decide on what you will warranty, take a look at the manufacturers guidelines for the product. 3M has written great information on what product to use for what application, how it needs to be cared for, and how long they guarantee the materials.

Or you can tell them 1 year guarantee, no automated car washes, hand wash with mild soap and when they come back 11 months later wanting a free replacement, you can look at the graphic, tell them you can see that they used a drive through carwash and voided the warranty.

btropical.com

Re-design if needed to make the print cover the entire window,

Use primer 94 around the window edges to help hold the print.

The prints should be laminated, either perf or regular vinyl.

Before you decide on what you will warranty, take a look at the manufacturers guidelines for the product. 3M has written great information on what product to use for what application, how it needs to be cared for, and how long they guarantee the materials.

Or you can tell them 1 year guarantee, no automated car washes, hand wash with mild soap and when they come back 11 months later wanting a free replacement, you can look at the graphic, tell them you can see that they used a drive through carwash and voided the warranty.

Or do all of the above but redo windows , and peel back the drivers door panel and install 3 fresh shrimp . Send customer away no charge ,

Jasminedg

ha ha. Ya'll are funny. I am definitely going to use primer 94 this next go around. I have been doing a little bit of research on the materials and vehicle temps. The product bulletins for arlon give service temperatures need to be between -20 and 150. The Oracal 3651 ranges between -40 and 176. Child car safety websites say that a car in 76 - 96 degrees can heat up to 150+. So if it is over 100 degrees outside, the sun is blaring, and you have black tint = the windows are going to be cooking.

btropical.com

you said

Child car safety websites say that a car in 76 - 96 degrees can heat up to 150+. So if it is over 100 degrees outside, the sun is blaring, and you have black tint = the windows are going to be cooking.

Explain that to the customer and set customer expectations

AUTO-FX

Was it only peeling along the edge of the exposed glass? Could you cover the entire window when you replace it, just print black on that section where there would be no image?