• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dash Cam Recommendations?

player

Does anyone have dash cam experience? I am looking for some video protection when I am driving. I have watched a number of YT videos and I realize it is something nobody should drive without. From lying cops to insurance scammers to angry nutbars it is something I am getting ASAP.

Is there cam that someone could recommend?

I am hoping to get one that I can move somewhat easily from my car to another car if I borrow one. (which I do from time to time).
I would also like nice video and audio, and a long tape time. I think they record over so if they record for 20 hours, at the end of 20 hours they start recording over the oldest. film. I would think it would be good to get more than just the from cam. It would be good to record the driver's window when a cop shows up, as well as behind and the sides.

ams

I had one and it broken within a few weeks. I got another for Christmas, but need to put a lcd monitor in my van to be able to use it.
You can find a good one for $100 - $150 for HD video, but make sure it comes with a screen built into the camera and also make sure it's a wide angle, so it records across your entire windshield.

rjssigns

Go to YouTube and type in TechMoan. Guy is from the UK and gives extremely thorough dash cam reviews. I'm trying to decide between the Mobius and the "Wedge" A118.

untitled

I have a Blackvue DRG-400HD in the back of my car and a Blackvue DRG-500HD in the front. The 500 has wifi that you connect to with an app on your phone to view videos. It is slow but if you need the video right away is kind handy. Not that I have ever needed the video right away.

They both will record over older videos. So it's pretty much set them up and forget about them. They also track GPS and speed through GPS. There is an option to turn off the speed on the video though. They are not really movable from one vehicle to another that easily. I have mine wired through the car but if you just plugged them in to the cigarette lighter then you could move them but the mount on the inside is stuck on so ya I guess not really movable.

Video from my front cam. I think this is from the DRG-400HD.
[video]https://youtu.be/Y_eOmi6KGXQ[/video]

Andy D

Silly question, I understand why cops and maybe businesses would want dash cams,
but why are people getting them for their personal vehicles, just to cover their butt
if they get a ticket on in an accident?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My thoughts exactly.

Wouldn't you hafta tell someone you are videoing them and that you are also recording their voice, if confronted ?? Otherwise, it is entrapment and illegal to film or tape someone without their prior knowledge. This world is getting crazy............:pops_blinking:

Andy D

Not in public, that's why we're videoed everywhere you go.
I think the Supreme Court has rule that a your right to privacy doesn't exist while you're in a public place

TXFB.INS

Not in public, that's why we're videoed everywhere you go.
I think the Supreme Court has rule that a your right to privacy doesn't exist while you're in a public place

exactly,
and if I understand this also applies to the public accessible buildings / businesses

lgroth

I have a Garmin Virb Elite action cam, have a dash mount for it and use it once in a while. It is wide angle, like full field of vision wide, has built in GPS compass, speed sensor.... Way more than you need for a dash cam. But it did help my step kid beat a ticket, cop says he clocked him at 49 in a 35 zone, camera said he was doing 36.

untitled

Silly question, I understand why cops and maybe businesses would want dash cams,
but why are people getting them for their personal vehicles, just to cover their butt

The reason I have one is because I was once in an accident and my own insurance company tried to put me 100% at fault for the accident when I clearly wasn't at fault. I ended up fighting them on it and won and ruled 0% at fault. If I had a camera it would have saved me a lot of time fighting my own insurance company. Biggest thing is they wanted me to be at fault so they could then raise my rates.

My thoughts exactly.

Wouldn't you hafta tell someone you are videoing them and that you are also recording their voice, if confronted ?? Otherwise, it is entrapment and illegal to film or tape someone without their prior knowledge. This world is getting crazy............:pops_blinking:

Videoing or recording someone without consent is not even close to the definition of entrapment.

Like someone else said you can video and record anyone you want without their knowledge in a public place. Other wise security cameras and such would be illegal. Even news crews would have to close off a whole area just to be able to record something in case they accidentally recorded someone without consent. Even if you are recording police making an arrest or doing something, they cannot force you to stop recording. They can threaten you all they want but if you are not in their way or interfering you are not breaking the law.

The crazy part is needing to be recorded constantly to protect yourself.

Andy D

I have a Garmin Virb Elite action cam, have a dash mount for it and use it once in a while. It is wide angle, like full field of vision wide, has built in GPS compass, speed sensor.... Way more than you need for a dash cam. But it did help my step kid beat a ticket, cop says he clocked him at 49 in a 35 zone, camera said he was doing 36.

Pretty cool, I didn't know they did all that. Did he show it to the cop or the judge?

Andy D

What makes me mad is you can have a thousand cameras videotaping everything in public,
but you set up one little camera in the women's bathroom and everyone loses their minds!!! :covereyes:
(totally joking)

player

[video=youtube;LihOpDmQZgc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LihOpDmQZgc[/video]

player

This a good reason to have a dash cam:

[video=youtube;xnouCS4Weag]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnouCS4Weag[/video]

Silvertip

Silvertip Graphics Signs & Designs, Inc.
Why the dash cam? Here is why...

Another guy saved...

[video=youtube;3dBvFpfiaF8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dBvFpfiaF8[/video]

We live in MN and were traveling home from a trip to N. Carolina. We were in a steady stream of traffic. We got pulled over (our speed was at 70) The highway patrol said we were doing 72. We found out later that anything 70 and over is a must appear charge.
Ok. So I said, can I go online and pay the ticket?
Answer: NO you must either appear in court or hire a lawyer.

Believe me I researched EVERYTHING to try to get out of hiring an attorney (we got over 50 solicitations within 1 week and ALL of them were for different prices-imagine that). I also was not going to drive all the way across the country to appear.

They have you by the short hairs. They do not have radar as the cops in that state are VISUALLY TRAINED to know your exact speed. So you cannot fight it-believe me it is not worth it.

We ended up hiring a lawyer who "appeared" for a whopping $500.00 for a speeding ticket that they dropped to an "improper equipment" charge. The ticket itself was $12. The rest went to some lawyer.

I called everyone I could thing of down there and since your drivers license is your ticket to life across the Federal span, we paid.
The crappiest thing I have ever heard from the DA's office (from more than one person) was...."well, ya know, lawyers got to work too."

I totally get why the dash cam. I will have one next time I travel across country for sure. They prey on outsiders and the outsider pays or they don't get their drivers license renewed because they end up with a warrant.

If you think this story is bs.....I would if I hadn't lived it-here is a link to a story I found that is eerily similar.
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2013/02/12/3-on-your-side-out-of-state-speeding-ticket-help/

Andy D

Ok. So I said, can I go online and pay the ticket?
Answer: NO you must either appear in court or hire a lawyer.

That's ridiculous! Stupid & corrupt local governments **** me off!

Assuming you didn't get another ticket in that state anytime soon, what's the worst they could have done?