• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DAT file

Jillbeans

Did a search already, not a lot of info about these.
I know I am about to get one via email.
I have Corel 12 and that's about it.
Are these hard to open?
Can they be opened?
:corndog:
It's like knowing you are gonna get a flu when one of the kids come home sick.
Love....Jill

rdm01

I usually have to change the extension around (.eps, .ai, .pdf, etc.) until I find out what type it really is. Eventually you'll find a program that will open it. Just did this same thing last week, turned out it was a .pdf and it wall all gravy after that!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
DAT is the extension that gets applied to a Mac file when it is split into the resource fork and the data fork. this happens when a mac file is sent over the internet and then received by a PC. You will need to determine the file type it is supposed to be and change the extension before you will be able to open it.

What is trickiest about it is that the email will have two identically named files attached. If you download them into the same folder, one will over write the other.

If you need any help, email me the file.

Jillbeans

Thanks.
I'm still waiting.
Maybe they will forget to send it and I won't have to do the job!
:)
Don't you hate how clients think you can just magically open anything?
Don't you hate it when they think you can just print stuff out of a 4B?
hahaha
Love....Jill

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I thought it was due to an incorrect setting in Outlook. I get them occasionally...

http://facstaff.gpc.edu/~jbenson/resource/winmail.htm

I think this is a Mac to PC issue. See Wikipedia article.

Compatibility problems

The complexity of programming with resource forks has led to compatibility problems with other filesystems in the past. In order to transmit a Macintosh file over a network or other medium, the data and resource forks must be serialized together. A number of file formats, such as MacBinary and BinHex, have been used to implement this. Command-line system tools SplitForks and FixupResourceForks allow manual flattening and merging of resource forks. In addition, a file server seeking to present filesystems to Macintosh clients must accommodate the resource fork as well as the data fork of files; UNIX servers usually implement this with hidden directories.

Jillbeans

I got it!
She managed to send it as a .jpg.
It was actually a pretty picture, just not real workable in cut vynull on coro.
:ROFLMAO:
Whew.
Love....Jill